Wyeast 3724 all-grain saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zokfend

Reaction score
I'm doing an all grain saison with wyeast 3724 yeast. Recipe requires transfer to secondary and dry hopping after fermentation has considerably slowed down, "between 5 and 7 days" it says. I'm also doing a temp ramp-up by starting temp at 68, and ramping up to 80 degrees during course of fermentation. I did this temp ramp-up on a previous saison, and it turned out great. Wyeast talks about 3724 needing higher temps anyway.

What I'm doing DIFFERENTLY from the recipe is keeping wort in the primary for longer than 5 to 7 days. I'd prefer it stay on the cake for two weeks before I transfer to secondary and dry hop. I think majority of fermentation will be done by that time, and I'd rather do as much fermentation in primary as possible. It's been 7 days in primary and fermentation is still steady as she goes.

The 3724 saison yeast has an unusual behavior, and I had to do some unusual stuff the last time I did a saison.

Does anybody think my approach is cause for concern?

bumping for any help with this yeast.

any recommendation on if you should transfer to secondary or how long you should leave it ferment at a specific temperature? It sounds like this yeast will considerably slow down and settle before its done, so you want to shake it up to re suspend yeast and keep the temp high, especially for weeks 2+. just not sure if you even want to transfer to secondary or if its better to keep all the extra yeast in there.

I would NOT transfer to a secondary with this yeast. I would leave it for 3-5 weeks.

First off, pitch a big starter and don't let your fermentation temps ever go down. I've used this yeast a few times and it really hates cooling off while it's still fermenting. If it doesn't stall at the dreaded 1.030, it can easily be finished in a week and a half. By that time, feel free to transfer it. But do keep in mind this yeast will finish pretty dry (below 1.010 every time I've used it) with a low mash temp, so definitely don't try jumping the gun.

I'm starting a batch right now, and I'm using this yeast. It's been pretty hot this summer so I'm hopeful that I won't need to do anything special with it. In any case, I had originally planned on using Wyeast Northwest ale on this brew, my Nude Beach Blond Ale. If it gets stuck should I just use the Northwest to finish it off? Or should I use the French Saison instead to keep it in the same family? I'm sure I'd have a great beer either way.

I believe I heard Neva Parker say this strain has a higher oxygen requirement, which may be why it stalls. You may want to try adding more oxygen when you pitch.

Luckily I did that when I added the yeast. I gave it a much more vigorous shake than I usually do. It was all foam when I was done.

We'll see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back