Initial setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montegod7ss

Reaction score
After searching and researching and drinking a lot of beer whilst doing so, I have decided to start brewing. I don't like "kits" in hardly anything so I think I will piece something together with the the best of everything so that I can grow into my setup instead of out of it. What I have in mind now is a 5 and 6 gallon better bottle, couple of caps so I can pressure CO2 transfer from primary to secondary, already have a turker fryer with an attitude that with a new 30qt or so pot can really put the fire to the party. In addition I would like to use an air stone oxygen setup for after the wort cools.

I guess what I am looking for is having the best equipment I can so that as I move from extracts to all grain then my equipment is still good as things get more serious. I personally can't hardly choke down BMC but of course all of my friends drink it like water. Starting out with an Ale sounds like what everyone does and then from there I can move on to what I like, brown ales, porters and stouts. Just wanted to see what all you recommend as I continue reading howtobrew.com.

Thanks
Andy

An extract+specialty grain English brown ale would be an excellent first brew.

Is that what you were asking?

I would love to make an English brown ale right off the bat. All of my BMC swilling friends actually do enjoy Newcastle if I'm buying it, and I'm sure a brown ale would go over just fine. Do you have a good extract+SG recipe for a brown ale?

Since you have a turkey fryer and you will most likely be doing full boils I would recommend a wort chiller. I didn't see it on your list, but thats the one piece that I did not get with my initial set up and now that I am doing full boils it is practically a must. Good Luck.

Grains
8 oz 40-L crystal malt
2 oz. black patent

Extract
5 lbs. Amber LME (5-8 lovibond)
(or 5lbs. John Bull LIGHT LME)

Hops
1 oz Saaz (45 min)
0.5 oz Hallertau (45min)
0.5 Hallertau (5 mins)

Yeast
Wyeast 1098

On the wort chiller thing, do you just hook it up to a garden hose and let it run or is it a circulating system? I will have to have a look at the Newcastle clone as that is what most everyone I know likes.

You can get an immersion chiller that you put in the wort and run the garden hose into it and out comes hot water. There are also counter flow wort in one way cold water in the other, out comes cool wort and hot water.

The recipe I posted is probably pretty close to Newcastle. If you buy from Austin Homebrew, the stuff I posted will run you a few dollars less than the Newcastle clone. I would say go for the clone if you are going to buy mail order.

Back