#$%$# LHBS don't have any yeast ! Need recipe for yeasts they do have.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
I want to brew a lighter summer beer. I'm dying to brew this Blue Moon clone.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24979

However, my LHBSs don't have any Wyeast 3944. And they won't be getting any in for months.

The yeasts they do have are 3278 ?, 1388 (Belgian Strong Ale Yeast), 1010 (American Wheat), 3056 (Bavarian Wheat) and 3068 (Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast).

http://www.wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm

What could I brew with these yeasts ?

Thanks

A nice american wheat would be a good refreshing summer drink, and they have the yeast for that.

You could also do what I did when I found out my LHBS didnt have the hops I wanted, look for a store in your surrounding states online, even with ground shipping it will be there in a day or 2...

I'm up in Canada. Up here it seems like everyone is focused on home wine making. These shops could care less about selling a bit of yeast to homebrewers. And it seems they all use the same distributor and the next time they will get yeast in is May. Uugggghhh...

I do have some calls/emails out yet, so maybe something will turn up.

brewman ! said:
I'm up in Canada. Up here it seems like everyone is focused on home wine making. These shops could care less about selling a bit of yeast to homebrewers. And it seems they all use the same distributor and the next time they will get yeast in is May. Uugggghhh...

I do have some calls/emails out yet, so maybe something will turn up.

Cal at the Vineyard south gets yeast in every other week. He'll bring in any Wyeast you want - have you talked to him?

I'm in the same boat as you. My usual LHBS which actually has a decent selection of grains and hops has a pretty miserable selection of WhiteLabs yeast. Their clients (they are a BOP shop) mostly want lagers so ale yeasts are pretty hard to come by (mostly just irish ale yeast and burton (love it!)). I get anything else from Paddockwood.

I ordered Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen on Monday and I'm expecting it tomorrow sometime.

Maybe just make the same recipe with one of the weizen or belgian yeasts. I just did this with WL300 (which i think is wy3056?). It is done fermenting, and I need to bottle it now. Samples taste good.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Cal at the Vineyard south gets yeast in every other week. He'll bring in any Wyeast you want - have you talked to him?

The other guy in that store says no new yeasts until May. I called him on Saturday about 3944 and I called him again today just to make sure. He was actually a bit perturbed that I asked again.

bradsul said:
I get anything else from Paddockwood.

I ordered Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen on Monday and I'm expecting it tomorrow sometime.

Paddockwood is out too. I tried them already.

You could make up a 1/2 gallon starter, then dump a Hefeweissen of your liking into it and try to harvest the yeast.

bradsul said:
(LHBS) has a pretty miserable selection of WhiteLabs yeast.

This is all the more reason to freeze yeast and store it for a few years and share it among fellow homebrewers.

I think I am going to buy about 10 different liquid yeasts and freeze them all. This is the 3rd time this winter that I have had trouble getting the yeast I wanted for a brew.

I am going to buy activator packs, split them into 8, mix them with water and glycerin and freeze them. My yeast issues will be over.

It will cost about $140 for everything... yeast, vials, glycerin, etc. and I'll have goo quality liquid yeast for the next 5 years.

Cheesefood said:
You could make up a 1/2 gallon starter, then dump a Hefeweissen of your liking into it and try to harvest the yeast.

Actually Cheese, most of the famous heffes use a lager strain for bottling, so that's not a great idea.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Actually Cheese, most of the famous heffes use a lager strain for bottling, so that's not a great idea.

Yeah, but all the yeast suspended in the beer are still active.

OK, go order a hefe draught, sneak it home, then pitch it.

Back