WTG-Stir plate set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spareparts

Reaction score
I need to reset my kharma or something. Anyway I'm going to give away a yeast culturing set up.

I'll be honest, the stir plate has seen its better days. You have to slightly push in on the adjustment knob while you turn it but it works and is variable speed. Also throwing in a 2000 ml flask, a 200 ml flask, a test tube (all pyrex) and a stir bar.

I don't know how to select someone who is needy of this gift so I"m going to rely on the forum for ideas on how to do this. I really don't want to give this gift to someone who can afford to buy a set up but is too cheep. Also, my inbox is just one of the starter in-boxes and is already full so PM-ing me won't get anyone nowhere and I probably won't receive the message.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on how to get this kit to the right person?

Maybe I could start a poll and the forum could decide but I have no way to determine the worthy applicants.

Please post your ideas.

DSC01110.jpg

Wow that's a really nice set up, and a pretty cool thing your doing. I would look at the people starting to culture yeast. This stuff is the linch pin in the whole yeast culture thing. Also see if you can get them to agree to recycle it to a new brewer when they are done with it like you are. These are the only 2 pennies I have but you can have them.

Side Note: I can give them a happy home here. Well......... happy but dangerous seeing as how I'm replacing flask number 4. :mad:!!!

how about lowest number of post who will pay shipping?

Naw, too easy to set up a new account.

A pass it on agreement might be a good idea. But I'll leave it up to the personal honor of the individual. Once out of my hands I really can't do much about it and over time we'll all forget about it anyway. These things have a way of propagating good will though. Maybe they won't pass on the stir plate but I know that they'll do something nice for someone.

Keep the ideas coming.

Are you part of a homebrew club? Give it to a newer member.

^Not part of any clubs. The one's I'd be interested in a just a little bit too far away.

Maybe I'll leave it on the honor system. Brewers seem to have more integrity than most so I'm sure those who already have a set up will refrain. I'll repost in the general section and let those interested pick a number between 1 - 1000. Then on Friday morning I'll go to a random number generator and pick a number. In the case of a tie it will go to the lower number. Example, if the number is 199 and I have two guesses, 198 and 200 it would go to the 198.

I'll even pay for shipping (like I said, I need some good kharma again) as long as it is CONUS and not some crazy hillbilly shack that involves a pack mule to deliver packages. If the recipient feels so obliged he/she can donate the cost of shipping to saving whales, a church, school, or whatever.

What do you guys think?

I think it's a good thing you're doing regardless of how you choose.
I'd say open the thread for entries for 24 hours, every one saying "I'm in with number ###" then do the number generator. You're doing it for Karma, so you must believe that if someone un-needing takes it out of greed, Karma will repay them.

Thats a cool idea. I would love it since I can't even afford to buy my next round of ingredients but I was set on building my own from a computer fan and some magnets (as seen on this forum). Right now the only home brewing thing I have going on is manually stirring up my mason jar of pacman re-culture.

I have a friend that owns a clean-out business. When she does a clean-out, there are usually some items that the client leaves behind, and she then gives the items away to the first person who comes to pick it up. She calls it "Pay it Forward". She's given away all kinds of things, like furniture, dishes and glassware, beer signs (those come to me), and the occasional appliance. I think it's a great idea.

I'll pick #523.

Back