Using baker's flavor extract (e.g. McCormick) in soda brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillelKitty

Reaction score
Howdy!

I'd like to make sodas that aren't the standard flavors you find for soda extracts. Most of what I've seen is RB, vanilla, fruit, etc.

I want to make maple, banana, and almond! I was wondering if I can use the flavor extracts you find in the baking aisle at the grocery store? If so, what is the typical ratio of flavor extract-to-water? I will be brewing directly in 2 liter bottles.

Alternatively, for the maple, I was thinking of using maple syrup. Does anyone have a recipe for this? I assume that I would reduce the amount of raw sugar to accommodate the sugars in the syrup, but I'm not sure how to calculate this.

Thank you!! (I'm really looking forward to drinking my maple syrup through a straw made of cooked bacon). :rockin:

You can use extracts, in whatever ratios you need to make the soda taste the way you like. I'd start small, and increase until I got the right flavor.

As far as maple syrup goes, you can use that and carbonate it. There is plenty of sugar in it, so you can replace the water and sugar with syrup. I've never tried it (hate the stuff, but I make it- go figure?) but if you're purchasing it, make sure you get the stuff that is preservative free. No sorbate or benzoate in particular.

I don't know of a recipe, but you could just play evil scientist and mix up something that tastes good to you.

I'm more of a ginger ale soda person, and never experimented beyond that. (Well, root beer for the kids, but that's strictly extract).

You can also use 100% pure juice juices. I got this idea and this recipe from the homemade soda book you can buy at bookstores. . I made a batch with 1 1/4 gallon of cherry juice (actually a combination of apple, cherry and other fruits). I also added 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and 3/4 vanilla bean (extract would probably work or you could skip vanilla).

It turned out great. I think any fruit juice could work.

I've been playing with some LorAnn flavourings and so far I've found the following tasty.

Cotton Candy
Coffee
Root Beer
Cheese Cake
Blackberry
Bubble Gum
Peach

I still have about 20 more flavours in my collection to try.

Thank you all for the encouragement and ideas! We just put the maple soda in the fridge this morning, and I'm about to go have a glass :)

Ack! The maple soda was disgusting. All the sugar brewed out, and only a whiff of maple flavor was left. So, it looks like we'll be using maple syrup as a brewing sugar for beer, but not soda.

Tried again, this time using just McCormick almond flavoring (our local grocer doesn't carry maple flavoring), and it was super successful - having a refreshing glass now.

I used just a basic 2L soda recipe, and had to use the whole bottle of almond extract. Initially I just put in 2 Tbs of extract, but there was no flavor, so I poured in the rest of the small bottle (the standard small size carried by grocery stores). Very tasty!

You will find that some flavours come through really nicely with very little flavour well others take a lot. I tried apple I put 2ml in a 2L could not taste it I doubled it still nothing it took 8ml to get a good taste. Some flavours seem to get lost when sugar is added but do well without sugar or with sucralose.

I know this has been dead for a month now....but...

try force carbing the maple soda - mix water and syrup maybe a smidge of other flavorings for balance and put a carbonator cap on the bottle and force carb. it will help keep the sugars from fermenting out and yet you'll still have a craft soda

not sure where you are from but if you could get your hands on the maple sap in the spring. you could boil it down to get rid of water and concentrate the sugar.
the down side is you may need 10 liters to get 2 liters
I think syrup takes 50 liters to get 1 liter.
I've had the sap right from the tree and it's really good like cold water with a hint of maple but it's far to light to carb up you would need to boil it down to get more flavor and sweetness.

Back