Nottingham Brewing Yeast (dry packet) "Refrigerate?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've used this brand of yeast a few times, without any issues. One time, I forgot to order yeast with my extract kit and had to borrow a packet from a friend who had stored it with his other brewing hardware for nearly a year--worked like a champ. Anyway, I was sitting here bored and decided to read the packet to find out the ideal target fermenting temperature when I realized the package says to refrigerate. *blink* Seriously? We're supposed to refrigerate dry packets of yeast? Anyone?

I keep them in the fridge until I'm the day I plan on using them....I notice my LHBS keeps his out on shelf so not sure if it is a have to thing.

funnily enough, i noticed the exact same thing yesterday. the dry yeast that comes in kits isn't refrigerated though, so i'm not too worried. i've made 3 successful batches without refrigerating the yeast

Mfg recommends refrigerator or freezer for long term storage. If you going to use it in a week or two, room temp is fine.

Back