Finished Bottling - Got a few Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackntan

Reaction score
I just bottled my first 5 gallon batch of what I call my "Angry Bee's Bitchin Honey Brew", and I have a few questions that I need answered to ease my mind...

1st - When I primed, I put the 3/4 cup of corn sugar directly into the bottling bucket,then transfered from my secondary to my bottling bucket..... Will this effect the priming any?

2nd - Before bottling I took and FG and got 1.012, gave it a taste, and let my wife have a taste, and she stated that it had a little bit of a "Champagne" flavor..... Is this normal and will this condition out as is sits?

3rd - Is there a magic day to watch out for when it comes to bottle bombs? At what point will bottle bombs occur, if any.

Thanks for any help

1. I believe this is what most people do. I put mine in and then rack into the bucket, the swirling of the wort mixes the both very nicely.

2. Never brewed anything with honey but you can get a VERY rough idea of the final flavor with experience but things do change. I would never worry about any off flavor at this point.

3, I've never considered worrying about bottle bombs. If you did everything even CLOSE to correct you have zero worries. 1.012 is normal. Put those thoughts away How long has it been since brew day??

1. I have always boiled the corn sugar in a small pot with 2 c water for 10 mins or so. Then cooled it, then added it to the bottling bucket. The corn sugar does seem to take a little while to fully dissolve, especially if the water's not that warm. Boiling helps to alleviate this.

2. As to a champagne taste, there is dissolved CO2 in the beer and I believe that adds to this taste. The taste of the beer wil change a bit as it carbs and ages in the bottles. Don't worry.

3. I don't believe that there's a magic day to worry about, just keep them at a steady temp, out of the sun. Enjoy them in 3 weeks...or more. Making sure all the corn sugar is thoroughly and evenly dissolved should help to keep this from happening as well.

Let us know how things turn out.

1st - When I primed, I put the 3/4 cup of corn sugar directly into the bottling bucket,then transfered from my secondary to my bottling bucket..... Will this effect the priming any?

If I am reading this correctly where you just dumped the corn sugar in without boiling it with a small amount of water, uneven carbonation is likely. Solutions mix much more evenly than dry powders.

+1 to Flyangler. You need to disolve the priming sugar into water before putting it into the bottling bucket. Once you gently rack into that, it will disolve very well into the entire solution.

Let us know how things turn out!

Latest posts

Back