Hole in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtn80

Reaction score
I just recently filled a keg with an imperial wit that had been fermenting for two and a half months. I went away for a week, when I came back, about half of the keg was in the bottom of the keezer. It was my favorite of the four beers I have on tap, so obviously I wasn't happy.

I tested all the lines, all the quick disconnects, pulled all the kegs out of the keezer. I saw bubbling on the side of the keg. There is a hole, basically the size of a pin in the seam of the corny keg. The beer had leaked out a drip at a time, and also wasted a good amount of my 5# co2 tank.

So my question is this. Can anyone think of a way to seal that hole so that the corny isn't wasted? Even if it can't hold up to 15-25psi of pressure to be used as a serving keg anymore, maybe I can salvage it to use it as a secondary fermenter?

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, corni's are cheap enough that I'd just buy a new reconditioned one for $20-30. If you try to seal the hole and it doesn't work you could lose another batch wasting the same amount of money (or more) than the $20-30 it would cost to buy a new one. Because the keg is under pressure, I think no matter what you do to seal it, that area will always be a weak spot.
If you really want to try sealing it, you're going to have to weld.

Back