It's blackberry season here in Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilv4xn

Reaction score
The berries are starting to get ripe and I am new to brewing. I am looking for suggestions on what kind of beer to brew and how to best add fresh berries? My wife and I both like dark beers and a blacberry choc stout/porter sounds interesting. I am also wondering if a Thomas Kemper wizen berry clone done with blackberrys would work. Any input?

I would totally do a blackberry bourbon porter. I thought of this on the way to work today its in now being added to my pipeline. Also a blackberry whitbier is always a favorite of mine.

Any good blackberry bourbon porter reciepies? I haven't made it to the write my own stage of brewing
(still need a little handholding)

Any good blackberry bourbon porter reciepies? I haven't made it to the write my own stage of brewing
(still need a little handholding)

I would look up a vanilla bourbon recipe and swap out the vanilla for blackberries. For a darker beer youre going to need more fruit than with a darker one

Also +1 on the blackberry melomel (maybe make just one gallon of that)

I've had the all-grain version of this recipe from BYO on my to-do list but haven't tried it yet:
http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/108-porter/242-blueberry-porter

It's a blueberry-porter, but I'm sure you could sub blackberries

This recipe calls for 4lbs of blueberries. Now I dont know how much you like blackberries or how flavorful your blackberries will be but I would use 5-6lbs myself (then again I LOVE fresh blackberries)

Last year I did a blackberry hefeweizen with 6 pounds of fresh blackberries. Tart and delicious, and I'm under orders to brew it again this year.

Last year I made a simple brown ale and added 3.5lbs of pasteurized blackberries to the secondary. Was very nice.

Blackberry wheat (like a Ruby) is a can't miss, but something like a porter or stout would be doable for a beginner. IMO blackberries would be overshadowed by bourbon or oak.

I would go with a good blackberry mead. Mostly because I don't like beer brewed with fruit or berries. I've heard that blackberry meads are awesome though. I have yet to try one.

Is it Olallieberry (sp?) season out there too...? Never had them raw, but a good Olallieberry pie is amazing

Back