Made myself a "proper" mash tun this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phissionkorps

Reaction score
I based it on flyangler's design, except apparently SS 4/8" fender washers don't exist in Fort Worth, so I had to use 5/8" rubber washers instead. The bulkhead wiggles a bit, and leaks 2 or 3 drops an hour, but until I find SS washers, I'll deal with that.
Last weekend I did a BIAB, and got 69% efficiency. Temps were all over, and I spilled some though.
Last night I did my first "proper" all grain. Whew! I didn't know it would take that long. I used the double decoction in Kaiser's video, got temps a bit better, and somehow managed an 86% efficiency. I still need to figure out my evaporation rate as this time I ended up with approx 5.33 gallons after a 90 minute boil. However, I am still brewing on an apartment stove, so I guess there's nothing I can do about that besides moving outside, which is sort of out of the question since I live in an apartment.

Btw....anyone have any clue where I can get 5/8" SS fender washers? Parts numbers, etc would be appreciated.

I based it on flyangler's design

Credit where credit is due. FlyGuy is responsible for the design, not me! :D

Actually, I've used the same rubber washers in my MLT. I believe Fastenal is the source that you need for the 5/8" fender washers.

Credit where credit is due. FlyGuy is responsible for the design, not me!
LOL whoops! Didn't remember there were multiple "Fly_____'s" :p

Thanks for the link Revvy. I knew fastenal had them, but I was really looking for someone to hook me up with a link or parts number like that. Otherwise, with my luck, I absolutely would've ordered one that somehow wouldn't work. Happens every time haha.

I substituted some old hard drive parts for the washers on mine. Leaks just a bit (< 1tsp/hour) but I'll eventually find some proper washers I hope. You never know where you will find something that will work.

AutoZone sells 5/8" washers. They are about $1.50 each. You have to ask for them, they are in the back behind the counter...

I wish you would have told the kid who worked at MY autozone that...It would have saved me a lot of driving around...he just pointed me to a spinning rack that has nothing that large on it....

Back