An accidental experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mischief

Reaction score
I meant to start this batch last weekend, so I took the concentrate out of the freezer to thaw. I ran out of time and didn't remember to put it back in. I'm going to make the batch anyway because why not, but has anyone accidentally or on purpose started the fermentation in the concentrate cans then added yeast and water? If you did, how did it turn out?

Are the cans open? If not they should still be fine. If you did open them then there is no telling what is in there now. You can still make the cider but there is a really good chance that it is going to be contaminated. Probably a waste of time, unless…
You could boil it for about 10 mins with some water. This will make your cider a little discolored (not as translucent) but you know you are going to start with a serial product.

They weren't open when I started the cider and it is now fermenting nicely. I'll see how it tastes in a week or so. If it is totally disgusting then, I'll remember to pay more attention to my booze and throw out that batch.

mischief said:
They weren't open when I started the cider and it is now fermenting nicely. I'll see how it tastes in a week or so. If it is totally disgusting then, I'll remember to pay more attention to my booze and throw out that batch.

I think 2 weeks is a little too early to tell if it's going to be disgusting or not. I just bottled my cider the other day and it tasted like a$$ after a week or two. I'd still taste it, but it's just like homemade wine. It only gets better with time.

Yea par is right, my cider didn't taste as great as I had hoped when I first tasted it, but after about 7 months or so aging it tasted awesome. Only problem for me is that by then I'd already finished just about all my bottles, lol. Anyway, I don't see how having the cans out of the freezer for a week would do much, considering that they were still sealed - unless it's like stinking hot where you live, but still. As they say, RDWHAHB.

Back