Secondary Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdean

Reaction score
I was a little confused on what kind of temperatures the secondary needed to be at. Can/Should you leave the secondary at room temp or still stick with the proper fermenting temperature for the type of beer you are brewing. Thanks in advance for the pointers.

It really depends on the type of brew and yeast your using. Most ale yeast should be kept at around 68 degrees. What are you brewing and with what yeast?

I know ale yeast has an optimal temp, but in the summer, my brew room seems to hover around 80 degrees. I never see a difference in beer taste, no crazy ester production, maybe my room is magical I don't know. I just bottled a pale ale that sat in the secondary for one month in that room, which was way longer than I wanted to leave it, and it may be my best pale ale yet. It was muntons dry yeat too, which I've read has brutal ester production over 70 degrees. NOTE* I read the room temp with my brewing thermometer, which hangs in there. Perhaps it doesn't read acurately out of liquid, but I know the temp's at least 75ish. Best of luck, keep your equipment super- clean!

Edit- maybe this winter I'll re-do some of my recipes and be blown away by the differece cooler temps make. This would rock because they are already fantazmonious, etrocitinamical brews.

I just brewed Cheesfoods Carmel Cream Ale using White Labs German Ale yeast.

Is there a rule of thumb in general though?

I am on the lookout for a second fridge/freezer and a thermostat control for fermenting and I would like to try lagers.

lpdean said:
I was a little confused on what kind of temperatures the secondary needed to be at. Can/Should you leave the secondary at room temp or still stick with the proper fermenting temperature for the type of beer you are brewing. Thanks in advance for the pointers.
I have always left mine at fermentation temps with no problem, although some suggest that you leave the secondary for 2 weeks at fermentation temps and then move it to cellar temps if you plan to age it for a long time (i.e., more than a couple months).

Back