Brewing a Witbier- How to grind the malted wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inigomontoya

Reaction score
Pretty self evident from the title. I am brewing an all grain witbier this weekend, and I already have picked up my ingredients. I have a malt mill for barley, but I have not looked at enough to know if the rollers are adjustable. One of my local brewer friends said to just blitz everything in a food processor (the wheat, not the barley) but I am afraid of getting a stuck mash.

I currently have a keggle with a false bottom that I mash in.

Would I be ok, grinding the grain in my food processor, or if I can adjust my rollers would it be better to do it that way?

Advise me of gurus of HBT!

I've always just thrown it in my Barley Crusher. Works perfect. I throw my barley in the mash first, then any wheat and flaked grains. So far so good for me.

Adjusting the rollers would be the best way, you do want them tighter for wheat. I put a piece of masking tape above the adjustment knob with two marks - one for the regular setting, and the other for thinner grains like wheat. Makes it easy going forward... even still, I need to adjust my efficiency a bit lower, especially if the grist has a high percentage of wheat.

If you've got a few rice hulls you may want to toss some in as well. You can grind wheat pretty well if you can adjust your rollers, but since they don't come with husks a few extra rice hulls can help alleviate your stuck sparge worries.

I will check on my mill, I think it is a maltmaster, but will have to see when I get home. I do have a pound of rice hulls I plan on adding in, I will probably do a stir every 10 minutes during my mash but let it sit the last 20 minutes in order to set the grain bed.

Back