added priming sugar early??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goggan719

Reaction score
so i wasn't really paying attention and I added my priming sugar (5oz dextrose) to the wort when i initially began fermentation....normally i don't add it until after fermentation prior to bottling. think it will be ok? or am i going to need to add more prior to bottling?

ok, so i found a few posts and it appears i'm ok but i'll need to add more sugar at bottling....i read that regular sugar is ok? is that true? am i getting taken for $1 when I buy the "special" priming sugar from the supply store?

dextrose is a simpler sugar and will ferment faster, however, table (cane) sugar ferments completely... you will have to add more, but don't fret, that little sugar won't have any reasonable effect on taste or abv. A lot of people use cane sugar, it might take a little longer though, but some prefer it.

Your LHBS sells the corn sugar for more? I get it for $3/2 lbs here. You can use table sugar, but the amount is different. There are conversion charts and calculators to found in abundance for figuring this out and I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. The beer will be just fine :)

thanks, i've been bottle conditioning for about 2 weeks, normally adding the priming sugar to the entire batch prior to bottling...think i may need more than 2 weeks using cane sugar? still go with 5 oz, 5 gallon batch...

Or you can buy Kreamy X or some other malt based sugar, your beer will thank you for it. I almost never use dextrose in any part of my brewing.

Back