Soda machine for fermenting or dispensing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleHopped

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been mulling over the idea of getting a used soda machine to ferment in and/or dispense my beer.

The fact that I live in Arizona and temps during the summer can reach 120 F. I question the ability of a fridge or converted freezer lasting very long in the garage. Plus the amount of electricty they would end up using.

Now, the soda machine is built solid. You see them outside all the time.

Would putting a Ranco or Johnson controler work any different on this than it does on a fridge or freezer?

Any comments, personal experience (with the soda machine concept), or ideas?

I had two soda machines outside of a retail business that I owned. They ate electricity in big chunks. Could be that the newer units are more efficient but I would check that before getting involved. Think you would do much better with a chest freezer.

I take it the garage is the only option for a freezer? I know there aren't any basements in AZ, but sure would be nice if you could find a spot in the house (that you're presumably cooling anyway) where you could tuck even a small chest freezer or dorm fridge.

I think out of every option, a chest freezer is the most efficient. Samc confirmed my suspicion that soda machines are energy hogs.

I had two soda machines outside of a retail business that I owned. They ate electricity in big chunks. Could be that the newer units are more efficient but I would check that before getting involved. Think you would do much better with a chest freezer.

I just assumed that the soda machines were efficient since they are built like tanks.

I take it the garage is the only option for a freezer? I know there aren't any basements in AZ, but sure would be nice if you could find a spot in the house (that you're presumably cooling anyway) where you could tuck even a small chest freezer or dorm fridge.

Once I get it cleaned out and organized it is my best option that I can think of right now.

There are basements in AZ. When we were designing the house we almost did a basement home. Instead we built up.

I don't think SWMBO would like me putting a chest freezer up stairs. It's a family room area. I checked that area out already. If I only got rid of the foosball table or perhaps the air hockey table it just might fit. I don't think so. Besides I wouldn't want to carry glass carboys up and down the stairs.

most of the soda machines i've looked at have less than an inch of foam insulation in them, and usually don't have any in the bottom between the compressor and cold compartment and very little or none at all in the door.

There was a soda machine at work that I was going to try and get. Thought about taking the compressor and lines out and building my own cabinet like others have done with refrigerators.

Someone gave it away who shouldn't have. Oh well, maybe it was for the better.

It's refrigerator time.

Thanks for the input.

Back