3 batches, 2 carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I have three batches of port to make; a chocolate raspberry, an orange chocolate, and a white chocolate. I only have 2 3-gallon carboys. But I do have a 5 gallon carboy. How bad would it be to use the 5 gallon carboy and leave that air gap? I know I should just buy another 3 gallon carboy but I also know I will never need three at a time again. I could also just wait 2 months until it is freed up to make the third batch I guess.

What say ye?

>>>I will never need three at a time again

Ha!

Ha, Ha!

Now you've gone and done it.

No, you won't ever need three (carboys) at a time ... next time, you'll need FOUR carboys at the same time.

One can never have TOO MANY carboys.

Bite the bullet. Buy a three-gallon BETTER BOTTLE .... you'll thank me later.

I would also advise against putting three gallons of wine in a 5 gallon carboy UNLESS it's really early in the fermentation stages ... and even then, you are playing with fire ... ok, vinegar ...

My vote .... I think you should buy TWO more carboys. Call it a Christmas present to yourself. I guarantee you won't regret it.

>>never need three at a time again.

Thanks for the laugh. Remember, the goal is to "flood" the channel with lots and lots of wine ... it's the only way you'll ever have any wine get any "age" ... particularly if you have a wife like mine who ... well, never mind.

LOL - yeah I thought I'd never need more than my 5 gallon one. Now I have 2 3's, 2 6's and my original 5. But I seriously don't think I will need any more 3's. They are really only for the desert port. I usually have only one going. A couple of years ago I did another one since there was a seasonal out, but this year was unusual in that we moved right when I would be making the seasonal port so I did not get to start that (would have been long done by now), plus I found my new favorite port and my wife happened to find a white desert port that she wanted to try. A perfect storm of goodness!

I think I will just make 2 of them and wait until one is done and make the third. That gives me 60 bottles to do on bottling day instead of 90 too.

Wait to make the third. Port kits are expensive, and you don't want to have any more than an inch of headspace from the bung, let alone 2 gallons worth.

well, I occasionally use two(2) Three(3) gallon carboys in lieu of one(1) six(6) gallon carboy ... which allows me to tweak half a batch while allowing the other half to age normally.

Latest posts

Back