Drinking alone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
So im sitting here cracking a beer. It's summer session at college and the campus is desolate. I can't stand these times of year when the whole apartment building is empty and my drinking buddies have gone home. So it dawned on me. Why not start a webcam online bar? Everyone could go there across the world and drink with fellow enthusiasts!

dude. yes. i've never been able to find a free video conference prog though (one that handles more than 2 users). Ideas?

hmmm i'll have to look into it. I have a camera on my laptop but have never used it. We need a tech guy to respond to this.

maybe we can set a small group up on the oovoo thing sometime during the week fro those of us who can't wait till friday haha

looks good. also i think ps3 does multi video chat, but not that many people seem to have one.

Awesome idea, I drank alone all the time last year during school because no one was really into it.

Make sure not to invite George Thorogood, he truly likes to drink alone, yeah, with nobody else... I tell ya when he drinks alone he prefers to be by himself.
lol ha ha.

talk to teh summer tech crew at teh collage see if thay will let you set one up on there bandwith,, that is the kicker , you need a host.
tell them you need for colabarting with colligees on some research. :ban:

Awesome idea, I drank alone all the time last year during school because no one was really into it.

Really?School has changed a lot since I have been there.To the OP I drink alone bout 5 days a week so I'm in:tank:

I'm in. Summer school for me too. I have so much information to drink away each night without anybody to do it with... le sigh

Back in the day, there used to be a place called IRCBar on ... well ... IRC. Undernet maybe? Anyway, there was a bartender bot. You could say:

/me orders a beer.

and the bot would respond:

The bartender slides Hydruh a beer.

It was fun.

S

+1 for ooVoo.

I use it routinely to record podcasts for a gaming site that I belong to with up to 6 people and it works as advertised. It's a great cross-platform app (Mac and PC anyway, not sure about Linux) with a bonus...you can record the call.

The interface is very easy to use.

I would be into that but out here in Hooterville I'm stuck with 24k dialup. So my video conferencing would be stick figures and texting. So I'll just look at the bright side of drinking alone.... no one to ***** about it, and more homebrew for me. Hey, a five gallon batch only goes so far. Of course, online drinking does have that issue covered. Maybe the new POTUS will get that rural broadband thing going soon.

I think it's a great idea!

If you get this thing going, post away... I would join in when I am enjoying a good brew by myself!

why not use the....
drum rolll
HBT CHAT
that is 100% what its for!!!!!!!
just add ... use home brew chat to your sig and peeps willl go there.
we got thow this every year.

i wish when you loged in an secondery window opened ,, with you in chat...
just think how less dumb the over all post would be ,, people who will not search will not have to clutter uo the data bace with there dribble

wow.

also, video conferencing is very different from a chatroom. it's like the difference between txting someone and having an actual phone conversation. (not a big fan of txting)

okay guys and gals. The response to this seems to be enough to garner some further investigation into oovoo on my part. Here's my ideas. If we can only do six people per chatroom, we should have a list set up and we will randomly split ourselves into groups. We should do this once a week. And to spice it up and further our "research", we should decide on a style or styles that we will all drink that night. So one night could be ipa night, next time, wheats, ect ect. We could do either a commercial beer or we just all get whatever fits into the style, and of course we drink our homebrew in that style. Let me know who is interested and I can start making lists up for groups if we get more than six.

This is almost scary, its a really good idea. You might be on to something here. Im in, graduate student at a college for the summer, where the college makes up 1/3 of the city population, haha. Not much going on here.

*subscribed
This sounds like a great marketing platform, along with a social networking ideal! It could be like Sh!tFacedBook, a site to drink alone, with friends!

It could be like Sh!tFacedBook, a site to drink alone, with friends!

LMAO, it totally could be the next internet networking boom. **** why go to the bars when you could sit at home and just drink! Save money, drink your own beer and hang out. haha, i love it.

can I be a the funny guy at the end of the bar that makes the guys wonder if their girlfriend will leave them for me?

just an extension of real life after all :)

I like the idea, but who want's an online sausage party? Maybe you can hook up a deal w/ eHarmony or some dating service to provide ladies who like beer, lol

*subscribed...

Count me in if this gets up in running. I'll talk to a guy I work with. He uses something to video conference with for his gaming habit. I'll also run it by our ITs. Who knows, maybe I can "barrow" some software from the gubment.

okay here's the oovoo stuff. all those wishing to participate must download oovoo from their site oovoo.com We can only do it in groups of six. Right now we have about that many. Would anyone like to throw out a suggestion on a date? Im thinking midweek wednesday is good. Also, is everyone in favor of setting some sort of agenda for when we do this? If so, please post agenda ideas. I have some posted on page three of this thread. I really think we can get this thing rolling. Anybody with I.T. experience, please step up. I'm a moron when it comes to this stuff.

can I be a the funny guy at the end of the bar that makes the guys wonder if their girlfriend will leave them for me?

just an extension of real life after all :)

No, but you can be the guy at the end of the bar telling bad jokes thinking he is going to steal all the hot girls from their boyfriends when really they are laughing nervously until their boyfriends get back from the bathroom so they can hopefully make it out of the bar alive tonight :D :mug:

Lame no linux file for ooVoo, only webcam I have is on my eee.
I'm pretty sure stickcam can handle huge parties and works on any system...

Back