Not boiling down a gal/hr...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
The last 2 batches on my turkey fryer lost about 2/3 of a gal...hr of boil...
Most of the receipes say 1 gal per hour boil loss...
Should I just reduce the preboil by 1/3 gallon.? Thanks

Each brewer's system is going to have different boil-off rates. Just get to know yours and adjust your pre-boil volume accordingly.

I may have been doing it wrong...My fryer had no instructions...
It wouldn't work today so I took it apart and blew everything out...
I got it working...I may have not been letting enough air in...
It sounds more like a blowtorch now...Thanks for the replys!

Yep, mine sounds like a blowtorch when I turn it up pretty high. I don't tend to keep it there the whole time during the boil though. I average somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5 gal/hr. loss. I think it also has something to do with the diameter of your pot.

Well, yeah slinn, but I hadn't been collecting enough so that I'd get 5 gallons. I've gotten 4, 4.5 and 3.75 (not enough sparge water) my past three brews (though I topped up the last to 5; I'm tired of 'extra special' beers :))

by the way I have seen a variability with this - on humid to rainy days I don't boil much off at all! 1/4 gallon. Closer to a gallon on a standard day.

Best you can do is test boil off at the two extreme seasons. Do all 4 if you are so inclined.

In summer months, I get 1 to 1.5ga/hr. In deep winter I have had 2 to 2.25ga/hr.

It all has to do with liquid surface, humidity, wind speed, btu's, blah, blah, blah.

Back