IIPA critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocHop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this recipe? My only concern is that it won't have enough of a bitter backbone. But then again, I like my doubles a little on the sweet side and I really like hop flacor and aroma.

Batch size: 5 gal
Boil size: 6.25 gal
Boil time: 60min
OG: 1.086
FG: 1.023
IBU: 64.0
ABV: 8.4%
Yeast: Safale US-05

9.0lbs Briess Golden Light DME
1.0lb Crystal 60L (steeped 30min at 160F)
1.0lb Carapils (steeped 30min at 160)
1.0oz Summit 15.5% (60min)
1.0oz Simcoe 12.2% (20min)
1.0oz Amarillo 6.9% (10 min)
1.0oz Simcoe 12.2% (5min)
1.0oz Amarillo 6.9% (1min)
1.0oz Amarillo 6.9% (dry hop in keg)
1.0oz Simcoe 12.2% (dry hop in keg)

Thanks!

Personally I would drop the cara pils and replace it with corn sugar just to dry it out a bit and make the precived bitterness a bit more. I like my iipa's with a lot more flavor, aroma and dry that what you have listed. When I brew a iipa I dry hop with around 5 oz and will use about 5 oz or so in the last 20 min of the boil. Be careful with the summit hops though because the can be oniony or garlicy. Organic summit is the best way to go if you want to use them. hope this helps

Personally I would drop the cara pils and replace it with corn sugar just to dry it out a bit and make the precived bitterness a bit more. I like my iipa's with a lot more flavor, aroma and dry that what you have listed. When I brew a iipa I dry hop with around 5 oz and will use about 5 oz or so in the last 20 min of the boil. Be careful with the summit hops though because the can be oniony or garlicy. Organic summit is the best way to go if you want to use them. hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. I've never used corn sugar in my brews yet, but will consider it. Would you skip the summit and just go with Simcoe for bittering?

5oz of dry hop sounds delicious, but expensive. I think I might try to up the dry hops an ounce or so though.

I second adding more oz to the dry hop. It will be on the sweet side. I brewed a similar recipe but used chinook instead of summit and it was fantastic. My IBUs were a little over 100 I think 104 and I dry hopped with 4oz total. 3oz for 1 week and then another oz for 5 more days and kegged with the hops in a bag.

I second adding more oz to the dry hop. It will be on the sweet side. I brewed a similar recipe but used chinook instead of summit and it was fantastic. My IBUs were a little over 100 I think 104 and I dry hopped with 4oz total. 3oz for 1 week and then another oz for 5 more days and kegged with the hops in a bag.

Sounds good. Perhaps I'll ditch the summit and just go with 1.5-2.0oz Simcoe at 60 min and then add another .5oz each of simcoe and amarillo for dry hops. Thanks for the advice.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of Amarillo hops, but I like what you've got there. I second (or third?) the addition of some corn sugar to dry the beer out. It will help add a bit of crispness that helps balance out the residual sweetness you are going to have with a 1.023 FG.

Also, at 64 IBUs I'd say you could use more bittering. Of course, I speak from the crazy end of the spectrum. :D

Cheers,
Strato

I think your safe with using the summit hops as a bittering hop but I would avoid them as a late or dry hop. I spoke with a guy from hop union and he told me that they smell like onion and garlic because they are pumped full of fertilizers. He told me that the organic ones are supposed to be great and more like tangerine's. The amarillo simco combo should be great. You will get that citruis and pine aroma mixed sounds sooo good.

I think your safe with using the summit hops as a bittering hop but I would avoid them as a late or dry hop. I spoke with a guy from hop union and he told me that they smell like onion and garlic because they are pumped full of fertilizers. He told me that the organic ones are supposed to be great and more like tangerine's. The amarillo simco combo should be great. You will get that citruis and pine aroma mixed sounds sooo good.

Too bad I have 4oz of non-organic Summit in the freezer. Better not tell my wife about the fertilizer or she'll never drink it.

I think the us05 will drop that beer lower than 1.023 but I could be wrong.

It depends. I just did a IIPA a couple of weeks ago and was expecting similar numbers, did a partial mash with 6lbs of DME and 1lb of corn sugar. The Og was 1.091, last I checked the gravity was down to 1.016 after a week :drunk:. I did use an entire 05 yeast cake from a pale ale though.

I like my iipa's with a lot more flavor, aroma and dry that what you have listed. When I brew a iipa I dry hop with around 5 oz and will use about 5 oz or so in the last 20 min of the boil.

Is it me or does his estimated IBU look low. I inputted a IPA recipe in hopville with less and similar hops but got an IBU of around 80.

Not sure about the disconnect but how are you getting your estimated IBU of 64? I plugged it all into hopville (6.25 gal boil) and got 94.5.

Code:
hops
use 	time 	oz 	variety 	form 	aa
boil 	60 mins 	1.0 	Summit 	plug 	15.5
boil 	20 mins 	1.0 	Simcoe 	pellet 	12.2
boil 	10 mins 	1.0 	Amarillo 	pellet 	6.9
boil 	5 mins 	1.0 	Simcoe 	pellet 	12.2
boil 	1 min 	1.0 	Amarillo 	pellet 	6.9
dry hop 	7 days 	1.0 	Amarillo 	pellet 	6.9
dry hop 	7 days 	1.0 	Summit 	pellet 	15.5
Boil: 6.3 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
    94.5 IBU / 16 HBU 
    ƒ: Tinseth 
BU:GU

Also, if you don't recommend Summit as a dry hop or aroma hop, then what would you replace it with?

Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Simco, Columbus, Citra or other American hops that are high in oil content would work just fine.

Is it me or does his estimated IBU look low. I inputted a IPA recipe in hopville with less and similar hops but got an IBU of around 80.

Not sure about the disconnect but how are you getting your estimated IBU of 64? I plugged it all into hopville (6.25 gal boil) and got 94.5.

Code:
hops
use 	time 	oz 	variety 	form 	aa
boil 	60 mins 	1.0 	Summit 	plug 	15.5
boil 	20 mins 	1.0 	Simcoe 	pellet 	12.2
boil 	10 mins 	1.0 	Amarillo 	pellet 	6.9
boil 	5 mins 	1.0 	Simcoe 	pellet 	12.2
boil 	1 min 	1.0 	Amarillo 	pellet 	6.9
dry hop 	7 days 	1.0 	Amarillo 	pellet 	6.9
dry hop 	7 days 	1.0 	Summit 	pellet 	15.5
Boil: 6.3 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
    94.5 IBU / 16 HBU 
    ƒ: Tinseth 
BU:GU

Also, if you don't recommend Summit as a dry hop or aroma hop, then what would you replace it with?

You're exactly right about the IBUs! I forgot to change my boil size to 6.5 gallons...that makes a big difference. I'm going to give the Summit a shot and see how it turns out. I'll also increase the dry hop by an ounce or two. Really, I can't imagine it will be bad.

im sure it will be great but just not making that imperial mark. try the summit and let me know what you think. I just dry hopped a american pale with it but they were organic so we will see how that works

Back