Starting gravity too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppleton

Reaction score
I brewed a malt extract kit (Northern Brewer Breakfast Stout) that stated the original gravity should be 1.030. I took a refractometer Brix index reading of 9.1-9.2 prior to pitching the yeast, which correlates to about spec grav 1.037. Frankly, I'm not that worried, but I was wondering whether there is any downside to a having a high starting gravity.

Also, the temperature of the wort was probably about 60-62 degrees (below ambient temp of about 68 degrees) because my wort chiller was CRAZY efficient. Would this have an effect on the OG?

the closer to 60dF, the more accurate your hydrometer is...

But since you used a refractometer, it shouldn't affect it as long as you have Automatic Temperature Compensation.

Mine does, and as far as I know, most do. But even if yours doens't it shouldn't have been too far off.

1.030 target gravity is awfully low for an extract kit, but I imagine that the 7 extra points should really only add about 0.5% abv to your end product.

only more alcohol...some people might consider that a bad thing, but mostly only if it bumps a beer out of style. 7 points is not going to make or break you considering a SG of 1.030 is low anyway. As for your temperature throwing off the OG, the only reason it would be off is if your using a hydrometer and you didint adjust for temp. A refractometer has a much larger temp window so your god. Enjoy your beer

thanks for the reassurance. I just checked and my refractometer does adjust for temperature automatically.

Back