Southern English Brown so far is great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
I brewed up a Southern English brown about three weeks ago. I kegged it today.

I've never tried the style before and was curious what it tasted like. I tried the hydrometer sample and it was fantastic. Chocolate is a good way to describe it.

This was a low gravity beer with very low IBU's so I it was only about $16 for all the indgrediants. After I try it when it's carb'd and aged and if it still tastes great I may have to keep it on tap all the time.

Has anyone else ever brewed a Southern English Brown?

I have a Southern English Brown in my kegerator right now. I used Jamil's recipe: Southern English Brown Ale It turned out very good. It is probably my best beer since I started brewing again about 8 months ago. I have got a brown porter in the secondary right now that I cannot wait to try.

Here is the recipe if someone what's to check it out

6.9 lbs British Pale Malt
1.0 lbs Crystal (80 L)
10 ozs Crystal (120 L)
0.5 lbs Special Roast (50 L)
6 ozs Pale Chocolate (200 L)
.25 lbs Carafa Special II (430 L)

.85 ozs Kent Goldings (5% AA)

S-04 yeast

Mash at 153 F.

I made this for my first brew on my Herms... before I had optimized my efficiency. I used Jamil's recipe, with an efficiency of 70%. Later I calculated my efficiency to be 83%, the end result being a beer somewhere between a brown ale and porter, with a very high ABV and a great deal of maltiness and fruity flavor... I used Wyeast 1968. I have no idea what style it would fall under, an imperial of some sort? Anyway, I'll be brewing it again with the right amount of grains sometime soon!

Back