Buying a Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
Looking for some help trying to find a good brew pot. I am making 5 gallon batches right now on a 7.5 gallon kettle. I want to upgrade to at least a 10 gallon kettle. I don't plan on doing 10 gallon batches anytime too soon. Would prefer stainless over aluminum but not 100% necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Adam

Bought one of the Polarware 42 qt models with the ball valve and temp probe port and have been very pleased with it. I did end up taking the thermo out and put the plug back in though. The probe got in the way for BIAB.

16 gallon SS bayou classic brew pot. I went from a 5g SS kettle to this big boy. Spigot, false bottom, thermo included. Love it. Just need something big enough to heat it...
I'm working on that last part now...

I would buy for the possibility of doing BIAB 5-gallon full-volume boils, which means you need enough for boil off, grain absorption, dry grain volume, and enough margin to avoid a boil-over. I would go with at least 10 gallons, more if you ever plan to go north of 1.065 BIAB.

I'm using a 4 gallon pot for 2.5 gallon BIAB at the moment and there's a couple quarts of topping up involved a couple places in the process, and my efficiency is stuck at 65-69%. I would use at least a 6 gallon for my requirements if I could do it again.

I've been eyeing the Northern Brewer stainless pots with the thermometer and ball valve lately but haven't upgraded yet...

Looking for some help trying to find a good brew pot. I am making 5 gallon batches right now on a 7.5 gallon kettle. I want to upgrade to at least a 10 gallon kettle. I don't plan on doing 10 gallon batches anytime too soon. Would prefer stainless over aluminum but not 100% necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Adam
Couple questions to make suggestions more meaningful: How much do you wish to spend? Are you a DIY-er and are willing to install your drain and pickup tube yourself? Or do you wish to have it done for you as part of the purchase? These preferences will narrow down your choices.

For example, I am a cheap SOB and a DIY-er so I bought a nice, 10 gal, heavy duty aluminum pot (Amazon) and installed my drain (Bargain Fittings) and pickup tube (Home Depot) myself. This was after using a 7.5 gal porcelain steel pot that I got at a lawn sale for more than 4 yrs. Still works.

Stout Kettles. I just got a 15-gallon. Pricey? Yes. But the build quality is incredible. You'll never buy another unless you just need to go bigger.

I was gonna buy a 10 gallon kettle and got talked into converting a keg just to get a bit more space. And, I happened upon a keg at the right moment. It is totally DIY, but I look forward to making it a winter project.

I picked up an Update International SS 40qt on Amazon recently. It's the same pot Northern Brewer sells as the Megapot and I believe MWSupply also sells it and rebrands it.

Anyway, much cheaper on Amazon as Update International and is of fantastic quality with clad bottom and big beefy handles. I'm impressed with it and will later add my own ball valve. Maintains heat perfect for BIAB

I was gonna buy a 10 gallon kettle and got talked into converting a keg just to get a bit more space. And, I happened upon a keg at the right moment. It is totally DIY, but I look forward to making it a winter project.

Doesn't take much to turn a keg into a keggle you can use for the long term... If you want to know how I've done mine, shoot me a PM...

For the OP, it really does come down to your budget level, if you have tools, and what you're comfortable doing. Kegs (1/2 barrel) are about 15" in diameter and around 24" tall. Not hard to store. Plus, you can put a good amount of fttings, hoses, etc inside when you're NOT brewing. :D You'll need a couple of power tools, or have friends with them, to do the convert yourself. Or pick one up already done. You can typically get those for less than a brew kettle.

BTW, keggles are about 1.3mm thick stainless.

Stout Kettles. I just got a 15-gallon. Pricey? Yes. But the build quality is incredible. You'll never buy another unless you just need to go bigger.

Stout if you can afford it. Again Bigger is better. One of my regrets is not getting bigger. You can do a 5 gaL batch in a 15 gal BK, but you cannot do a 10 gal one in a 10 gal BK.

If John does not have one in stock, you will have to order and wait (but it is worth it as it is welded. If you have to "custom" order, get the TC Thermowell.

I like the one with the sight glass and tangetial inlet.
http://conical-fermenter.com/:ban:

Good point on the size. I don't plan on 10 gallon batches soon...but it is always nice to have that option. Is there any real disadvantage to using a keg vs a 15 gallon SS pot? I have no problem adding a thermometer and sight guage ect...

Also....is there any 'type' of keg for conversion that is better then the other? I am not an expert in them. But I feel like I do sometimes see different shapes and sizes of them? no?

Stout if you can afford it. Again Bigger is better. One of my regrets is not getting bigger. You can do a 5 gaL batch in a 15 gal BK, but you cannot do a 10 gal one in a 10 gal BK.

If John does not have one in stock, you will have to order and wait (but it is worth it as it is welded. If you have to "custom" order, get the TC Thermowell.

I like the one with the sight glass and tangetial inlet.
http://conical-fermenter.com/:ban:

404 error with that link... :drunk:

Do see that you can get sanke kegs from them. Checking to see what pricing would be like for a pair of the 1/4 bbl kegs. :rockin: Depending on my local supplier, I might be getting some 1/2 bbl kegs from them eventually.

I have a 9 gallon pot and I am shopping for a 15 gallon just so I have the option to do 10 gallon batches.

Go with welded fittings! I have a couple kettles with weldless and they are a PITA. They will leak over time and if you put any stress on them, they warp (Like trying to hang a pump) That would likely not happen a keggle but almost all the pots are too light weight. One of the reasons I like Stout Conicals is they have welded fittings. If I was going to order one I would get the 15 gallon with Tangential Inlet and a sight glass. I would also go with the electric TC fitting just in case I ever wanted go that way in the future. I would also get TC Themowell (A Tri Clamp fitting that you can put a seperate thermowell in. That would allow you to put in a TC Sensor directly into the kettle.)

I have a thread "If I knew then what I know now" that you should look at

Back