I can't stop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elicash

Reaction score
My girfriend (ex as of about 12 minutes ago) always gave me trouble about drinking, but she put up with it.

Then I discovered homebrew about a month ago. I went into what you might call a brew coma.

I have spent almost $1,500 in the last three weeks and every spare second brewing, reading about brewing, reseaching brewing, designing my brewery, remodeling my house to accomodate said brewery... you get the idea.

needless to say it has interfeared far more with my job and our relationship than drinking alone ever could have.

my only hope is that I can win her... and my boss; back with my first batch;)

I think I'm here to stay.

If you're drinking (or brewing) enough that someone has to "put up with it", or it's interfering with your job, you might have a problem.

Welcome to the forum, hope you find it useful and helpful.

Everything in moderation :mug:

Or maybe it's your relationship and your job that are interfering with your brewing and drinking...;)

If you wanna become a professional brewer, then don't beat around the fuggin bush. Just do it, make it your job, go work for DFH or something...but don't go around trying to be a professional full-time brewer while trying to have a normal life beside it. It just won't work. Either you need to learn how to moderate your obsession like most of us have, or you need to jump in headfirst and turn your life over to brewing, wholesale. Trying to have it both ways will only put you in a bunch of problematic situations.

Not trying to get down on your newfound obsession...believe me, I find me scaring myself sometimes with how much I obsess over my batches...but I'm just trying to be realistic here.

elicash said:
...I have spent almost $1,500 in the last three weeks and every spare second brewing, reading about brewing, reseaching brewing, designing my brewery, remodeling my house to accomodate said brewery... you get the idea.
I think I'm here to stay.
Umm. Where do you live? ...cuz you know...if things don't quite work out with the brewing thingy...I can get that nuisance equipment out of your way for you. ;)

By the way...everyone around here approaches brewing with a calm, objective, balanced approach and nobody around here is really obsessed with the art of brewing....If you feel obsessed, you might have come to the wrong place.

N O T ! ! ! ! :rockin:

Ok, I was mostly kidding. I may have invested quite a chunk a bit early, but I'm still pretty laid back. I have learned so much from just reading the posts on this site and I really appreciate all the wisdom here.
I am excited about brewing, but I know that my priorities are elsewhere, thanks for your concern none the less. I'm pretty sarcastic, and I know it can be easily misconstrued when you only have text to go by but I assure you that I have a health respect for alcohol and brewing.

elicash said:
Ok, I was mostly kidding. I may have invested quite a chunk a bit early, but I'm still pretty laid back. I have learned so much from just reading the posts on this site and I really appreciate all the wisdom here.
I am excited about brewing, but I know that my priorities are elsewhere, thanks for your concern none the less. I'm pretty sarcastic, and I know it can be easily misconstrued when you only have text to go by but I assure you that I have a health respect for alcohol and brewing.

I read the sarcasm, in fact i was laughing. Oh wait that's either my jackassedness (?) or my sarcastic ass.... It was just too pitiful to believe. I mean you wouldn't risk your job, hello it funds your beer making.

Elicash,
You have only begun. I just laid out over $800.00 on a Blichmann fermenter but then again I have been brewing since 1972. :) Just get to brewing and stop obcessing about having the best equipment. Start with a couple of pails and maybe a carboy. Get an aluminum or stainless boil pot that will handle 6 or more gallons. Now you could brew "Partial Grain" batches. Remember that we all started this way. Of course you will need the basic brewing tools so a starter brewing kit would be good. You would be surprised what you can find on the web too. Since you mentioned spending $1500.00 you most likely have the basics so get to brewing. Now go get the bottles while it is fermenting and clean them with PBW. Look inside each one to see if it is absolutely clean. Do you have a capper and caps? Organize your time and let others know that you will be busy with your hobby at certain times. Don't let brewing or drinking be the only thing in life. There are other things that bring balance to your life.

I'm still having a hard time coming to grips that I'm spending about $400 on parts for my keggerator! :drunk:

Stop spending and start brewing. Owning fancy junk is no substitute for actual experience. The proof is in the bottle, so to speak.

max4677 said:
I'm still having a hard time coming to grips that I'm spending about $400 on parts for my keggerator! :drunk:
Your only regret is that you didn't do it sooner.

Looking forward to the cold draught is what gets me through the work day.

Kegger5.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_1.JPG

Back