Mother in laws!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walk into the kitchen completely naked, slap wife on butt wnhile looking at mil and say "your daughter is freaky" with a big smile on your face. Try this on a weekend

That doesn't matter....ask Billy Joel.

I'm curious what evidence there is that Christie Brinkley is anything more than a pretty face. I've heard people say she's smart, but I'm not buying.

My mother in law is more awesome than my wife... if only she were 30 years younger...

My latest mother in law is nothing like that shes 4' 9", got a face like a bag of spanners and is bone idle, when it rains she won't bring the washing in on account she's the last person to find out it's raining.

Where do they hang out? If its in the kitchen. Walk in in your drawers, scratch you nuts, grab an apple with out washing your hands and offer it to her. If its in the living room. Sit on the couch in your drawers scratching your nuts and then offer her some unwrapped dinner mints. See the common thread here? In your drawers scratching your nuts. You will either get rid of her OG get a date!

This has worked for me in the past. :cross:

It is it is. He married her.

I'm new to the forum but as a noob to brewing and marriage. I hope to god your making enough beer to get through this. There is no way on earth I would have married my wife in a situation like that. You only get to pick one family member so you need to make it worth it. If your not spending time together your absolutely going to grow apart. Make a date night where its just you two and only the two of you. If that causes a fight get a divorce.

Im so confused...why is your MIL in your house? or is it her house? If thats the case sack the **** up and move.

How funny: me and this mcarb guy sound a lot alike, and the behaviors of our women sound alot alike too.

What can I say man, this relationship needs a lot of maintenance and more beer.

She was just here one day. I remember the conversation about maybe her moving in and i distinctively remember being against it. I've tolerated it because she does do the dishes and cooks (but the food is crap). But it's gotten to the point where they're the decision-makers and i'm a frickin side thought and the labor.

Thats just half of it: the other half is she has a condo 3 hours away where the rest of my in laws live. The condo is a clusterf*ck, hasn't been cleaned in decades. And I swear: this woman can write a daily newsletter about my comings, goings and doings, but instead she transmits this info via cell phone real time.

The strangest thing: if I'm mean to her my home stays clean. If I'm nice the home turns into a cluster. So I have to be an ******* all the time.

Commo is key: had the conversation, twice, with my wife and the MIL is leaving next week.

Im so confused...why is your MIL in your house? or is it her house? If thats the case sack the **** up and move.

^^^This!!! I have been happily married for 14 years to the same woman, my first and only marriage! And let me say our relationship (wife, son and I) comes first. If we want the opinions or the company of any of our parents we will ask them for it. And let me say I believe that my MIL would pick me over at least one of the three boys she has in addition to my wife. We have a great relationship. But the gound rules were established early on, and when my FIL was still alive he helped enforce the "Rules" that we had established.

My parents have 7 marriages between them, and the most valuable of the many lessons I have learned from their relationship short comings is "Communication". I would suggest you to talk to her about this and come to some sort of resolution you can both agree on.

I'm still confused about the actual situation (she was only there one day, but now you've talked to your wife about her leaving? :confused:)

If she is staying with you, I'd suggest being extra-loud and extra-filthy the next time you're having sex with your wife. Leave the door open a bit, too.

Lol. So many levels of wrong.

Let me explain. My mother in law = former Thai go go dancer, current award winning cook, absolute sweetheart.

Don't get me wrong, my wife is absolutely awesome too... but sometimes (rarely) she gets that american girl attitude thing going and can dig in and be a real pain in the ass. lol

Due to damage from Hurricane Isaac, my MIL is living with me for 2-2 1/2 weeks. Not a bother in the world. A sweet old lady who constantly thanks me for "putting up" with her. Like it's a chore. No way. Sure, I have to be bit quiet in the mornings when I go to work but I came home yesterday to a cleaner house and a great meal. I married her only child and she knows where not to 'step in it'.
I'm not saying I'd want to have her live with us but sometimes, you have to make sacrifices.

Mix some regular Dawn dish detergent with water and put it into a spray bottle. Then squirt there underbelly if you can. Or just enough that they will crawl through it and it gets on there belly. Ummmm wait a minute, that's for stink bugs......

That there is funny! :mug:

mtg4772 said:
She was just here one day. I remember the conversation about maybe her moving in and i distinctively remember being against it. I've tolerated it because she does do the dishes and cooks (but the food is crap). But it's gotten to the point where they're the decision-makers and i'm a frickin side thought and the labor.

Thats just half of it: the other half is she has a condo 3 hours away where the rest of my in laws live. The condo is a clusterf*ck, hasn't been cleaned in decades. And I swear: this woman can write a daily newsletter about my comings, goings and doings, but instead she transmits this info via cell phone real time.

The strangest thing: if I'm mean to her my home stays clean. If I'm nice the home turns into a cluster. So I have to be an ******* all the time.

Commo is key: had the conversation, twice, with my wife and the MIL is leaving next week.

I weep for you

Brew up one of those medicinal marijuana cannabeers I saw on tv. Seemed to sedate people pretty well

Wait - you're the guy who has the nosy pain-in-the-butt neighbor lady, right?

Yeah, i'll keep you posted. And yeah, i posted about that neighbor that gave me crap about the fond memories my daughter will have about me brewing.

The whole thing with the MIL is pretty sad. My wife is trying to be there for her mom, but her mom is just meddling entirely too much and I've had it.

All: Sorry about posting an off topic like this, but man I was just frickin' desperate. I can't talk to anyone about it because they won't listen. Just because from the outside looking in I appear to have it pretty good. So no one wants to hear it. But really this MIL is too much.

It's ok buddy. We had my wife's parents over a few weeks ago for most of the day and evening, and it made me reflect on all the cultures that tend to live together as one large family. How do they stay sane?

leftcontact said:
Sane, heck, how do they manage to reproduce, especially the cosleeping ones?

They must have time slots. After awhile you've just got to be realistic about this stuff.

I can honestly say that my mother in law is far worse to her daughter than to me. When we first met, she always bragged about her son and compared us in every way possible for some reason. It came to a head on Thanksgiving when she and my wife had a fight over who could eat more - me or her brother. All i have to say is that since that day, my mother in law has done nothing but brag about how much her son in law loves her cooking. ;) The best part is I'm 7 years older and at least about 30lbs lighter than him.

Fact

image-1816677541.jpg

This has been one of the best reads I've had in the Chit Chat forum.

I love it.

Now my MOTHER kicks your MIL's @ss! And I grew up with her!!!!!!! :eek:

My MIL is somewhat annoying but only in large doses.

What's good, though, is that she's equally annoying to both my wife and I, which keeps the important conflict (marital) down substantially. Her mom comes to visit for a couple days, but not a week because that would annoy both of us equally. We can roll our eyes at her mom together and commiserate ("did she send you that email, too? what the hell?"). There's never any fights about "Can my mom come stay for a week?" because she doesn't want that, either!

What would be terrible is if my wife was *not* annoyed by her mother and wanted her around all the time. As it stands, it's just about right - she's ~5 hours away, close enough where we can see her when we want (probably 4-5 times a year) but not so far away that it has to be a week-long trip when we do.

We were both in a bit of a panic when she talked about getting a place out near Albany, only about an hour away...

My MIL will eat both pizza and even fried chicken with a fork and knife. She is constantly examining your table manners. I would love to really go to town with this but my wife would be horrified so for the love of her I keep up the image (did I say mirage?)

Only thing MIL does that bugs me is she talks incessantly about counting calories and portion count. Her sainted husband has to hide snacks and escape to diners to have fries. I asked what she drinks on the boat and she says "Bud 64" "oh really? I didnt think you would like that" "I dont, but its better than getting fat" "No, it really isnt".

Update: The MIL is scheduled to move back to her condo, 3 hours away, today.

I can’t wait for Monday to see if the MIL shows up at my place or not. Also, my wife has the MIL reading this book called “Boundaries.”

I read part of the damn book and told my wife, “See! That’s what I’ve been saying all along.”

Now back to brewing. :)

What does this have to do with brewing? Not very friggin' much, but I'm at a complete loss and it is the general chit chat forum. So I hope I'm not too far off topic:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry: So I suggested that my MIL alternate a week at her own place and a week at our place. This way no one is getting to wound-up in her idiosyncrasies. After she was gone for 1 week she returns and states she will be here for 2 weeks then return to her own place for a week. Here I am in the middle of the second week and she is getting on my freakin' nerves. I can't enter the kitchen without her playing 20 questions. And each answer I provide sucks me deeper into her pathological filth.

She responds best when I'm an absolute prick. You know the authoritarian-type, "do this!" "do that!" kinda' authoritarian crap. But I'm not an authoritarian. I'm a live and let live kinda' guy. BUT: even when I'm an authoritarian, in mixed company, she starts with her women's liberation games.

Gees! I'm at a complete loss with this female!

By the way: in the 1 week that she was gone. I'm really getting to know, work with and cooperate with my wife. Which I find very healthy for us.

Back