Oxy-Clean as a sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluteguy53

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Oxy-Clean works wonders on labels, can it get the gummy residue off of Heineken bottles? Also, can it be used as a sanitizer? Seems like you would have to rinse really well after using.

Cheers!

Oxy-Clean is a cleanser not a sanitizer...there is a big difference. It does work wonders with bottle labels and cleaning the gunk off of most brew gear, especially carboys.

Anything that is not listed as a no-rinse sanitizer is not a no-rinse sanitizer. Having to rinse anything used as a sanitizer defeats the purpose, unless you are rinsing using boiled water. Not worth the effort or the risk, IMHO. Just use Star-san or Iodophor and never worry about it again.

fluteguy53 said:
Can it get the gummy residue off of Heineken bottles?

Cheers!

I'll answer the first question.... yes it will eventually take the grimy residue off but a scrub pad works faster.. It will not take off the label though because the heinie labels are plastic...

As for being a sanitizer, i wouldn't risk it (and i'm using bleach).

Just a heads up, I left Oxiclean in my keg for 5 days and it has left the inside all rough and pitted looking. John Palmer said to soak it in CLR as he thought it was a calicum build up. What I did try was Star San soaked it in there for a few hours and Damn it took it all off. I was worried thaty I pitted the inside but no it was just a build up of something. I will never use Oxiclean in my keg again. I just didnt want to use up all my PBW, well leason learned the hard way.

Back