Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Kit Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to say after 3 wks - definitely NOT an IPA ... nice mellow APA, yes. Now to make some exprimental beer with HBC-483 hops and this gallon jug ;)

Woot woot!

I just brewed this kit this morning but something went wrong. After mashout, I took a gravity reading and it was around 1.05 (seems normal to me). The instructions say to add 3/4 cup maple syrup after the boil, which I did. However, after cooling the wort down, I took another gravity reading, and now I am at an SG of 1.10 (about 12% alcohol potential).

Doing a logic test, adding 3/4 cup maple syrup to 1 gallon of wort already at 1.05, does sound like it would raise the SG significantly. However, the instructions say this is supposed to only be a 6.5% beer. What went wrong?

Here is a link to the instructions if anyone would like to check me.
http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directions/Brooklyn_Brew_Shop_Chocolate_Maple_Porter_Instructions.pdf

Hi, @brottman -

The Chocolate Maple Porter was the first BBS mix that I ever brewed. It turned out very well, but I am looking forward to trying it again, to see how my skills/techniques have improved.

Regarding your specific question, I really don't have an answer. My only guess (and I could be wrong) is that there is some sort of error either reading or interpreting the hydrometer reading. The BBS mixes are designed to incorporate a minimum of science or twiddling with the knobs, and in my opinion are intended to get one acquainted with some of the fundamental steps as one learns to brew. Having said that, an email to BBS might be able to answer your question, and they should be happy to provide you with OGs and FGs etc. so that you can compare numbers.

Let us know how your beer turns out - I am a big fan of the BBS mixes and recipes, and this one was a clear favourite. If you are able to, I strongly suggest picking up BBS's two recipe books. they are a little expensive on the website, but do go on sale occasionally - or, they can be had for pennies at Amazon.

Good luck!

Ron

Back