Keggle Cutting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
I bought an angle grinder today, and some step drills, starting work on a new keggle... any tips? This is going to suck ha ha ha

Pol

It shouldn't suck at all. It should be quite a bit of fun, really. Biggest tip I can give you: don't get in a hurry - have a bit of patience when measuring and cutting.

See this series of videos:

Last edited by a moderator:
biggest thing is to NOT try and cut all the way through with one pass of the grinder. Let the wheel do the work, let it take three or four passes. Obviously, draw out your circle with some market; FYI, the bottom of an ale pail is a great size for the hole. Clean up the edge with a file and some sandpaper, and you're good to go. Take your time, but it won't take that long - it's easier than you think it will be.

Sweet, it is marked... my new 4.5amp 4.5" angle grinder will get its first test... then to the step drilling. QUESTION, isnt the OD of a 1/2" MPT nipple about 5/8" or so? I am making my own weldless fitting for the ball valve and want to make sure I have the sizing correct. Thanks.

Pol

yep... what they said about the cutting and the drilling. It really goes fast once you start and is pretty fun. Now... don't get stuck at 3/4" drilling like I did and think you can just ream it out... I need to get another drill bit or something, I wrecked some of the threads on one of the nipples getting a bit too forcefull trying to make the undersized whole work :mad:

The Pol said:
Sweet, it is marked... my new 4.5amp 4.5" angle grinder will get its first test... then to the step drilling. QUESTION, isnt the OD of a 1/2" MPT nipple about 5/8" or so? I am making my own weldless fitting for the ball valve and want to make sure I have the sizing correct. Thanks.

Pol

I think so, but that's why they make tape measures, son... ;)

I'd keep it with you when you drill, and check it each time you make a "step" and you know you're close.

Okay, I have done a couple passes, and I am getting no where... alot of sparks and heat but very little cutting going on here... what gives? Is it really this hard with an angle grinder?

Pol

keep going, it usually takes three or four passes. You ought to be seeing a groove be made. You can put a LITTLE pressure on the tool just don't over-do it.

Okay, well it took nearly an hour... I think that my cutting wheel was perhaps too thick... anyhow, had a moment of "finger meet 11,000 RPM silicon cutting wheel", but I am all bandaged up now, only went up to my fingernail tip!! It looks phenominal, have just a little deburring to do but that is about it, pics soon. I will drill for the ball valve assy. this weekend too. Does anyone know if Lowes carries silicone O rings? Or any high temp O ring? Thanks all!

Pol

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Don't press to hard when drilling and make sure you oil the bit. SS doesn't cut well with to much pressure.
Use a fair amount of pressure, low RPMs, and plenty of cutting oil. Too much pressure will heat the metal and dull your bit. Too fast a cutting speed will heat and work harden the metal, making your job REALLY difficult.

Wear good gloves and glasses as well as ear plugs. It's for your safety.
Getting hot stuff in the eyes really hurts, harming your ears is not cool, and drilling a hand makes drinking beer harder ;)
Don't forget to lubricate while drilling.

Be gentle with your tool, not like me when I was cutting my car:

disqueuse.jpg

Yes, there's fire in it !
Hoops, made a mistake ? :drunk:

Yeah, too late now but hopefully this will benefit others. You want a really thin cutting wheel and make sure it's meant to cut metal. They have ones specifically for concrete too and you don't want that. I know they make cutoffs at about 1/8" thick but that forces you to grind away double the metal of a thinner wheel. It took me 15 minutes.

Drilling here in a few minutes.... tick tock...

Hey, yah, it turned out great, just a little deburring to do and it will be set for my next session! I am excited!!!!!

Pol

I just cut my kegs open the other day and what helped me out a lot in the deburring (sp?) department was using a sanding wheel. It's also a great way to fine tune that perfect circle without screwing it up, or fixing it if you did screw it up. :cross:

You can buy them in 60, 80, and 120 grit and can be found next to the grinder cutting wheels at Lowes. By hitting the top and bottom sides of your cut you can achieve a really smooth finish.

-Dixon

i'm really wishing I had taken the stems out of the kegs before i cut them now. I would like to use the cut out tops as lids but its no where near as easy to get the stems out without the keg for leverage.:mad:

Or you could do like I did, and have a friend who's an ex-machinist cut the top off with a plasma cutter and weld the fittings on with a TIG welder. For free :)

Ummm, I don't think Miller will be willing to refund the deposit on that keg after that accident with your grinder and drill (should you ever try to return it). ;)

Lil' Sparky said:
Gotta wear gloves when using a grinder!
You don't have to if you know what you're doing. It's a good idea though. When I get hold of a keg, I'll be using a plasma cutter, just too much fun and way to efficient to even think about any other cutting method.

Oh sure...

A perfectly round hole in the top of your keg...

Big deal. That is so....last year.

Now THIS....THIS is creative genious....

Keggle_3.JPG

Seriously though...wanna trade? ;)

I traded a 12 pack of homebrew to the local welder and had mine cut with a plasma cutter... done in 3 minutes. all I had to do was buy a flappy wheel and smooth the edges of the hole.

Cheesefood said:
Did you ever fix that bear trap?
Nah...not yet.

Too lazy (I don't like doing things over again)
And too busy... (brewing that is)

Though I have taken to draping a cloth towel over the edge when I'm reaching in there cleaning things out.

Heh, yah I was really careful, the grinder contacted the tip of my finger for all of .5 seconds and it was gone.... it was not even running, just spinning down. Anyway, went camping the very next day, just got home from 4 days in the wilderness with the family and my finger is JUST now feeling normal. Camping and getting dirty every two minutes is not condusive to good healing. My heffe is in the fridge, finished, will bottle that later this weekend. Thanks yall

Pol

Latest posts

Back