New homebrew laws in Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We made it through the Senate! We made it through the Senate!

Our voice was heard and the wackbot amendment was removed, the only member that voted nay was the offer of said amendment. ...Next!

Not trying to be political but the vote passed 32-1 (which is good)with the only NO vote from our puppet money chaser Sen Fitzpatrick!

What does SB395 even hurt in the big picture for the one "nay" vote? The biggest reason this is being pushed is for the part of transporting beer and legalizing competitions. There's no real big change. I really want to know the reason for that senator to say no.

(I've been an out-of-state resident for 12 yrs so please excuse me for not knowing the jackasses of our state gov't)

Assembly now ... with any luck that greedy jackass Fitzgerald will be booted soon anyway.

I have no doubt that the reason for the amendment/nay-vote was due to pressure from the lobbyists for the Tavern League and the Wine and Spirit Institute. He may have been taking the fall for a group to save face with those groups. This is politics and those kind of things do occur.

What I truly don't understand is why THOSE groups are so bent out of shape with this bill. What are they TRULY afraid of? Are homebrewers really that much of a threat to them?

Jaz

What does SB395 even hurt in the big picture for the one "nay" vote? The biggest reason this is being pushed is for the part of transporting beer and legalizing competitions. There's no real big change. I really want to know the reason for that senator to say no.

(I've been an out-of-state resident for 12 yrs so please excuse me for not knowing the jackasses of our state gov't)

So here we are with the facts. The bill passed the Senate 32-1, which is good. Unfortunately, there are only a very few floor sessions scheduled for the Assembly. Few as in three or so sessions left. There is a real possibility that Lucy is going to pull the football away from us at the last second. THen again, SWMBO thinks I am too pessimistic these days, so yeah! We got it passed the Senate on a 32-1 vote and we have as good a chance as any to pull it off. Given that it is still early I am mentally hoisting my Maß in support.

SPWH President

Where does this stand? They were supposed to hear it last week but called it a day at 12:30 from what I heard. I thought it was going to be heard yesterday but I can't find any info. Any news?

Good question, they were supposed to get to it yesterday but didn't, I don't know if they got to it today. It sailed through senate and just need to get through the assembly.I don't see where it would be a problem.

Seems weird that it just sorta dropped out of sight on the list of bills in line to be heard. I was counting on it passing the assembly, however I have zero confidence walker will sign it. If any of the big breweries get through to him with a little cash (like miller did) it's gone. Money talks in Madison, right now quite possibly more than we have ever seen.

it's about a specific piece of regulation regarding homebrewing. it's not about about debating the governor situation in Wisconsin.

Sorry, not trying to argue, but any law/regulation is written and put into effect by politicians, most often for political purposes.

The intention of this thread was to raise awareness and support to get an unfair law changed and to track it's progress. Grinder1200 already started his own thread on this nearly identical subject AFTER this one was created. If you want to discuss anything other than this law, discuss political agendas or make jabs at someone's beliefs please feel free to do it in that thread.

I (and I assume others) have been following this thread and the next thing I want to read about is WHEN the bill is scheduled to be signed and when it is or is not by our governor. I will also accept cheers and good will for getting the law to this point.

Hoorah! For getting through to the governors desk! Thanks to all that contacted their reps!!!

For some reason the Wisconsin Department of Revenue reinterpreted existing law making homebrew transportation and competitions illegal.

Oregon did the same thing two years ago. Took a fair amount of effort to close the loopholes so the prohibitionists couldn't cause trouble.

I'd been following this in an out over the past few weeks, and just now found out that it passed. I knew it was coming down to the wire, but glad to hear it made it through.

Cheers to all the WI brewers!

I never saw this thread when I posted mine. Sorry about that. I believe that thread is dead.

Wait. This is my thread. Now I'm confused.

Zamiel. Put down the beer and sober up.

My thread ( this one) was more about the moron Majority Leader (well, not anymore after today) and his rambling joke of and addendum.

Sorry about getting political but working in government I see the lies this guy is handing out and it sickens me. People are so gullible.

I never saw this thread when I posted mine. Sorry about that. I believe that thread is dead.

Wait. This is my thread. Now I'm confused.

Zamiel. Put down the beer and sober up.

My thread ( this one) was more about the moron Majority Leader (well, not anymore after today) and his rambling joke of and addendum.

Sorry about getting political but working in government I see the lies this guy is handing out and it sickens me. People are so gullible.

If you choose to make political remarks, the ONLY appropriate place is the Debate Forum. Our rules clearly state no political remarks, controversial talk (religion), or other type of chatter will ever take place in the general forums. If you feel it's necessary to keep getting political either take it to the Debate Forum, or find a new forum to be in. Your name calling, snide remarks, and political remarks have you on very thin ice. I suggest editing before too much longer.

So, did the governor sign?
I have to envy you, as Kansas has a one-line rule about homebrew: nothing contained in this act shall prevent:

(b) the making of wine, cider or beer by a person from fruits, vegetables or grains, or the product thereof, by simple fermentation and without distillation, if it is made solely for the use of the maker and the maker's family;

Why make it if I can't share with friends? I'm not really comfortable with "oh, they'd never enforce that"

I believe the bill will be signed April 1st. And I hear you about your law, I have been homebrewing for nearly 20 years (lol, I started at 9, yeah right), and I nearly fell over when our State Department of Revenue said it was illegal pretty much to do anything but make it and drink it at your own home.

What was weird is the Wisconsin Tavern League came all out against the bill... but I think our constant pressure and reasonable request saved the day.

Cheers!

I don't get why the tavern league would be against this. Our typical club meetings have people show up about an hour early, eat dinner at the establishment, have a couple pints. Meeting takes place, some homebrew is tasted. Meeting adjourns, a few more pints are had. And all this eating and drinking takes place on a night when there might be 6 others in the establishment at any given time. The owner ends up with a few hundred bucks of business s/he wouldn't have had without the club meeting.

Back