Take a look at this picture, possible infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlg5039

Reaction score
I have never had an infection before, and I'm not too worried about this. But, It does look quite like some infection photos. There is no sour/off scent or any noticeable taste. It's an APA with Chinook/Amarillo.

SDC12244.JPG

SDC12245.JPG

Looks fine to me. It just looks like the frayed end of the bag is unraveling and allowing the strings to float around. Hard to say for-sure from here though.

Hard to tell about infections from the look in the fermentor.....smells might help, but if it tastes good and smells fine.....you should be ok. No smell/good flavor means no infections......

Well, it's been dry hopping a week now and I'm gunna bottle it today. We'll see in a few weeks :)

I once thought I had an infection, turned out it was just a piece of string that I accidentally dropped into the pot when cutting out hop bags and that snuck into the fermenter.

I once thought I had an infection, turned out it was just a piece of string that I accidentally dropped into the pot when cutting out hop bags and that snuck into the fermenter.
I once thought I had mold growing on a mead, but it was just a trick of the light passing through condensation on the inside of the carboy. Funny how we assume the worst, isn't it? Like protective parents worried about our babies ... :D

Yeah I've seen some weird gross things since I started homebrewing but all has been fine. This hopefully will be no different.

Looks fine to me. It just looks like the frayed end of the bag is unraveling and allowing the strings to float around. Hard to say for-sure from here though.

Those lines aren't from the bag. Actually it does look like you have a pellicle forming. Probably something got in when you put in the dry hops. If it is a bacterial infection (which is what it looks like) it's an early one. I would rack from below it and leave an inch or more behind just to be safe. Plan on drinking it up faster than usual as well.

Those lines aren't from the bag. Actually it does look like you have a pellicle forming. Probably something got in when you put in the dry hops. If it is a bacterial infection (which is what it looks like) it's an early one. I would rack from below it and leave an inch or more behind just to be safe. Plan on drinking it up faster than usual as well.

agreed....the lines (ropiness)are stereotypical to certain bacteria(acetobacter comes to mind)....Drink it and sanitize the living hell out of everything you use to touch the equipment...hoses, autosiphons, bottling buckets etc with either a good bleach soak or something to get it really a septic so you don't transfer anything and contaminate further brews

it might help to add some weight to the hop bag and keep it submerged from the start.

Back