Here it comes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Snow just started falling.. They say this series of storms is going to drop 4-8' in the eastern mountains (that's me) from 3500 ft up (I'm at 4200), snow level will start out at about 2000'.... High winds (which usually means falling trees and power lines down), with rain in the middle of the week between snow storms (slushy, icy, mess)...

Oh boy! Might not get to work for a week if all that pans out.. which means working on the PMBS, and brewing and consuming... Sleeping, watching TV, yakking on the internet, stuffing my face, and maybe cleaning the house up some (maybe... LOL)

Just filled both propane tanks, several jerry cans for generator gas, and made sure the quad is running (snow plow)... Bought some beef jerky, chips, peanuts, milk, and candy bars... Brought in a couple more days worth of firewood...

Not looking forward to this....

After it's through doing it's thing here, I'll send the storms to you guys in the midwest and east coast...

So now you have something to look forward to!
:mug:

No snow where I live (Los Angeles), but there will be lots of rain.

I get the snow (about a foot this past Sun) AND the cold temps - was -2 this morning when I got up in chilly Wis. Make sure you have plenty of winter warmers handy for consumption!

Well, we got about a quarter inch, and then it rained.. a 'lot'.... Thankful it's been mostly hail and rain... If this was all snow it would not be fun.. The worst is still ahead, with snow predicted later today, increasing to 'heavy' snow on tuesday... Hopefully, it stays as rain..

This is the second year of an El Nino pattern.. which means it should be like last winter (I hope).. Lots of rain, warmer temps, tons of snow higher up (where it's most important)...

Shasta lake was full last summer, and never got real low.. It's pretty much already full this year... The four years of drought appears to be over.. Which is good, cuz for a couple months last winter my well ran dry... was having to run a hose from my neighbors well every couple weeks to fill my holding tank back up...

I just pray this stuff doesn't turn to snow... Me like rain more better...

4-8'? I'm no stranger to snow, but even that makes me whimper. Not necessarily for the difficulty getting around as I can work from home just as easily, but for the idiots on the roads. We got 4-5 INCHES and there were people spun out everywhere.

Here's high hopes that it doesn't turn to snow fo rya.

The worst I've seen since I moved here 5 years ago, was 3'... It was a late winter storm (March 1st), very wet/heavy stuff (It actually happened the day I moved here.. LOL), Power was out for better part of a week..

But I'm told by those that have lived here forever, that it can get 'much' deeper than that.. 6-8' is not out of the question... I live about 10 miles from a place that gets one of the heaviest annual snow fall amounts on the continent (if not the world)

The thing I hate about snow, is that I live about a 1/4 mile back on a dirt road that doesn't get plowed by cal trans, and my van is two wheel drive (not even posi).. So that means chains on and off, on and off. on and off. on and off, (ad nauesum) when it gets heavy...

It takes me about 3-4 hours to plow out the road and my property (about 1/2 mile total with all the little access roads and what not I have to plow on the property, to get to the garages, the wood shed, etc.) with my little quad...

I'm cold and soaked by the time I'm through.. I have a neighbor that has a jeep CJ with a plow that helps with the road, and I have a YJ that I'm hoping to have a plow on by 'next' winter, so at least then, I can stay warm and dry for the most part while doing it... Hoping it's street legal by then too, as that will allow me to use it in bad weather when I don't have to take all my tools with me...

To make matters worse, there's about 2 miles of road from the highway that has to be traveled before I get to the dirt road... And that usually doesn't get plowed till later in the morning... and there are some hills on it that are well shaded, so they become treacherously icy...

Living here is three months of PITA dealing with the winter, 3 months of hiding from the blazing sun, ants, and wasps, punctuated by two 3 month periods of absolute paradise... and a lot of fishing! (or at least that was the plan! LOL)

Correction... Severe winter storm warning for 'this afternoon!'... from 4-7PM... 1'-3' above 3000 ft.... 6'-8' above 6500... I'm at 4200'... Man I hope they wrong.. Telling us to check our generators, have food and water, etc..

Raining cats and dogs right now...

Looks like the Christmas Party I was going to at 4:30 is out.. Hopefully, it doesn't get so intense that I can't watch the game due to satellite signal blockage.. (Priorities!)

Another severe winter storm warning for Wednesday... I'm planning a brew for Tuesday then! Get the jump on it.. (more priorities...LOL)
:rockin:

Latest posts

Back