Opened first bottle of first ever brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
And it has head! After only 4 days. Does this make this a candidate for a bomb? Very yummy. I am so fricking happy.

Yes I have one the bucket and one brewing this weekend. So sweet. Good night!:D :drunk:

Now if this has a pretty good head at only 4 days in tte bottle does this makes this a good contender for a bomb?

Fish said:
Now if this has a pretty good head at only 4 days in tte bottle does this makes this a good contender for a bomb?

Don't worry. If it is as good as you say, it will never make it to the bomb stage. It will all have been consumed. Just remember to save back a couple of bottles and find out in a month or two. You will be glad you did.

how are you storing them? I used to keep my bottles in the cardboard box they came in when I bottled them. If they ever blew then they were self contained.

If you're using or reusing bottles, maybe you could put them all in a big box? Six pack holders then a box?

I'm out.

:mug:

I have them in the boxes they came in and under the "junk" table in the dinning room. I may have a large tupperware that could fit them. How long after being bottled do they become bombs? And they do go fast went through a 6 last night. 2 were 22 oz.

Fish said:
And it has head! After only 4 days. Does this make this a candidate for a bomb? Very yummy. I am so fricking happy.

Depends. Is it like a Hefe head? Or a Pale Ale head? ie...5" or 1/2"? A little at that stage is perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry unless you hear a "pop" sound when you open the bottle.

Just sampled another and the sound was very minor. Its a hefer and a light drinkable head.

Bombs are a function of too much primer. Sounds like they carbonated fast due to the higher temperature, but when the yeast run out of sugar, no more CO2. If you like the carb. level, chill.

david_42 said:
Bombs are a function of too much primer. Sounds like they carbonated fast due to the higher temperature, but when the yeast run out of sugar, no more CO2. If you like the carb. level, chill.

I guess thats what I wanted to know why do bottles bomb and what to watch out for.

Back