American Wheat gone bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a recipe with just bittering hops at 60min. It was probably a mistake but I was experimenting. I am 9 days into fermenting and it tastes more bitter than I wanted this recipe to be. The hops I added were 3/4 oz Centennial.

I tasted it today and it has a bitter taste and bad flavor. Is this just because it is green beer? Will it get better? Should I dry hop with some Cascade?

I guess the next time I make this recipe I would change the hop schedule to .25oz Centennial at 60; .25 Cascade at 15 and .25 cascade at 5.

You can try to dryhop with cascade after primary fermentation if you want a spicy earthy flavor, but with a bitter wheat beer, I would use amarillo if you want to dry hop. It's a little more flowery and it will complement your centennial bitterness. Now, as far as flavor is concerned, I would definitely let it go another 3 weeks before making any decisions on what it will turn out to be like. Normally you would let wheat beers condition for short periods of time before serving because they tend to get off flavors (atleast in some peoples opinion) when you let them go longer, but in this case where it is more bitter, the hops will preserve the original flavor and you should condition it a little longer, like say 2-3 months. I think you will be just fine if you let it ride for 2-3 months and add a little amarillo, not much, just like .5 oz in like the last 1-2 weeks.

Thanks, the amarillo sounds good but I only have Cascade or Centennial on hand and I dont have time to drive the the LHBS. I guess I will wait or try the cascade.

Back