Stepping up and dropping money

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomelessWook

Reaction score
So it is time to start to think about my second batch...

BUT FIRST

i need to buy some new equipment! :) been stashing money aside for month or so now and i was going to buy a propane burner, a big ass kettle to do full boil, and i was going to make a chiller (counterflow or immersion dont know which)

was wondering if any of you had ordered big brew kettles and burners off any of the vendors here - and if not here - where.

im not a huuuge fan of my lhbs - they are taxed out (only one in the city) and they are sort of dicks - i have only heard good things about the vendors on here.

any direction would help :mug:

Some classic vendors IMO
Brewmaster's warehouse
Northern Brewer
Austin Homebrew Supply

Those are the 3 I've done business with so far and loved every transaction from each one.
You might look at the option of using a Keg as a boil pot as well. They were for 5-10G batches alike and can usually be had fairly cheap depending on your ethical view of the matter. (which should not be debated in this thread).
Also Chillers, both IC and CFC, are easily made yourself if you're even remotely decent at DIY. That could save some green as well:)
We are nearly as big of a DIY community it seems as we are a brewing one. The 2 tend to go hand in hand.

my 0.02:
search around craigslist for a used keg. they r normally around $25. seach youtube for "keg to keggle" to pop the top off, add a dip tub and ball valve. If you don't have the means to cut the top off, take it to any metal place in your town, they'll do it for you for cheap.

buy a burner off of Amazon, like this sq14 which just happens to be on sale http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my burner at Ace Hardware- $49.99 shipped to the store. I have a keg for boiling.

If I had the cash, though, I'd definitely get a nice pot! I highly recommend Brewmaster's Warehouse and Austinhomebrew.com for both ingredients, kits, and equipment. The flat rate shipping is great, and the customer service can't be beat.

Copper is expensive at my local hardware store, so I found it was about the same price to make a chiller as it was to buy one. I love my immersion chiller, and those are pretty simple.

My 2 cents...

In a desire to start with full boiling from day 1, I spent some time looking for best components I could find for the most reasonable price. I opted for:

This pot & this burner

The pot works like a champ! Can't comment on the burner as it's currently on it's way to the house, but the reviews make it seem like an excellent buy that'll do the trick.

Also got this chiller. Fit perfectly in the pot, and worked like a champ for me. It took a little over 10 minutes (if I remember correctly) to bring it down to the mid 70's. The faucet adapter didn't fit my sink, but that was easily remedied by a quick trip to the hardware store.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been told that a turkey fryer is a good bet for value for money as well. Most come with a pot as well. You might also have luck getting one used, as it seems like the kind of thing that people buy, but turn out to only use 3 times a year, so their SWMBO make them get rid of it instead of taking up space.

You could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get a turkey fryer. Mine came with a 7 gallon pot, thermometer and lid. Plus you usually get some sort of strainer with it. Not helpful for brewing, but handy for when your frying fish and what not with the fryer. These are easily found at many stores and are relatively cheap. I bought mine on clearance for 20 dollars.

i started off buying a turkey fryer with 7 gal pot to start with. the burner you will definitely use down the road, so you can start doing all grain or at least full boils (with fermcap) with that. then you can upgrade the pot later if you want... or if you're willing to shell out the cash, you can obviously find a nice kettle (look up blichmann) and a good burner like mentioned above.

i was thinking a 7 or 8 gallon pot from austinhomebrewer (i think it was 56 bucks or something) and then the burner the second guy mentioned - but seeing how you all say a turkey fryer is fine and it come with a 7+ gallon pot - i will probably go that route

thanks for the info.

ill let you know what i actually do when i do it.

My two cents.

1. Make a whirlpool chiller. Links on here or mrmalty will show you how. (can be used as a plain immersion chiller also)

2. I love my keggle a 15.5 gallon pot.

Turkey fryers are great

Latest posts

Back