Suspended cold break/trub???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I have brewed about 4 batches now and 2 of them had a great cold break and 2 have had a very poor cold break and left the trub suspended. Last night I brewed what will become a Raspberry Ale for SWMBO and this was the second time the trub seemed to stay in suspension. I used Irish moss and whirlpooled, but when I poured it into the fermenter all the break material went with it. I also tried to strain with my funnel, but the screen wasn't all the way in so that didn't help. I know that trub is healthy for the yeasties. I was just wondering why this happens sometimes? My first brew I knew very little. I did not use Irish Moss and got a great cold break and left alot of the break material behind, my second brew a Belgian Wit, all the break seemed to coagulate and stay suspended and with that brew I got it chilled to pitching temps in about 15-20 minutes. Third brew, a Stout, I used Irish moss, great cold break again left most of it behind. Fourth brew last night, used Irish Moss whirlpooled and again the break material stayed in suspension.

What happened?

Do you think this will affect clarity because of all the proteins going into the primary?

My Wit brew was the only other time this has happened so clarity wasn't an issue, but I would really like this beer to be clear to show off the pinkish color I should get when adding the Raspberries. I understand that the berries will cloud it in the secondary and I will need to rack to a tertiary vessel for clearing, I guess I'm trying to say I dont want chill haze, will the Irish Moss help even though all the break materila went into the fermenter?

From your post earlier, er, last night, I would say this might have happened because you were hammered.

I think gelatin may be an option for you to look in to. Chill haze doesn't impact the flavor, but I understand the pursuit of perfection, and the enjoyment of the results.

I wasn't that bad during brewing, it was really during clean up that it hit me. I was just wondering why the cold breaks I have had, or lack there of, have been so inconsistent. I do each step basically the same so I don't understand why I have had such a difference.

I don't think it will effect clarity at all. I don't whirlpool or screen my wort going into the primary; just pour the whole thing in. I have never had anything but crystal clear beer.

I wasn't sure if it caused chill haze or anything, it just seems as though my cold breaks arent that great, I think it is time to build a chiller!

Back