Brew Batch #4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still doing the stove top thing, and using extracts, but here's some of the latest brew I did last night. It's a Dunnkel Weizen, starting gravity was 10.80 i hope that I gave it enough starter and areation, only took about 6 hourse to start fermenting.

SpecalityGrains.jpg

Boilingthewort.jpg

Wehavefermentation.jpg

Looks like a well-stocked kitchen. Thyme, oregano, spiced rum, and blended whiskey.

Looks like you're going to have a peach of a dunkel there!

I've become a fan lately of dunkelweizens. I had one at a local brewpub that had some really nice spices in it. I wasn't generally a big fan until then, and now I'm starting to pay attention.

Wheats... they always blow off like a large white whale.

So fermentation stopped and my SG was a little high at 1040. This has been a big problem for me with most of my brews. is there any way to help it ferment all the way down? I've heard nuitrents for yeast can be added when fermentation slows, anyone ever try this?

I can think of a few things.

- Gently roust the yeast by tipping the carboy back and forth everyday for a few days. Avoid the temptation to check earlier than 7 days, but if your FG moved, keep doing it.
- At this point, make sure the carboy is at about 70 degree temps
- If you didn't do it; NEXT TIME aerate the wort after cooling by shaking it for about 2 minutes. The yeast will propogate much better. If you did do this, well, nevermind.

I've never tried nutrients, but gentle rousting and patience has always worked for me.

Back