Batch size...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size batches do you brew most consistantly

• < 5 gallons

• 5 gallons

• 10 Gallons

• 15 Gallons

• 20 Gallons

• > 20 Gallons

Results are only viewable after voting.

waskelton4

Reaction score
What size batches do you brew most consistantly?

round up or down.. I'm assuming that most folks brew in 5 gallon increments..
just curious.. thats all

5 gallons for me. Id like to have the capability to make 10 gallon batches, but kegging is a higher priority.

- magno

Ive done all 5 gallon batches so far. Hopefully Ill have my keggle done by the 4th so it will be 10 gallon batches after that

I do 5.5 gallon batches most of the time. About one brew a week.
Then for holidays and other times when I know there will be lots of people over I do 11 gallon batches.
We have a long line of good beer drinkers in my family.

I do five gallon batches.

My mash tun and keggle could handle ten gallon batches, but since I drink about 95% of the beer I brew, I'd probably get tired of a baeer before I could kill 10 gallons worth.

I am planning to brew a 10 gal batch with a friend and split it sometime soon, though.

In the past I have done mainly 5 gal brews. However, I now have a keggle, a spare fridge and several Cornie kegs so it may be 10 gal batches from here on out! :D

Matter of fact this Sat I am doing a "Intro to brewing for your friends" gathering at my house and plan on 10 gal of All grain chocolate stout, A williams brewing co Belgium triple kit, a can beer kit (Never done one before) and a 5 gal batch of ginger mead. Should be fun!

Did a one gallon batch and enjoyed it. Mash in a pan in the oven, seperate the sweet wort using a mashing and sparging bag in a 1 gal bucket (batch sparge), boil in the same pan on the stove and cool in the sink.
No mess and can try a different beer every week.

I do 6 UK gallons per batch, which I suppose is 7 US gallons. About half a gallon (at least) is wasted with early tasting :drunk:

I was thinking of doing a 1 gallon batch of Mead or something fancy.

glibbidy said:
10 gallons all the way baby! It takes the same amount of time to make 5 as it does 10, so why not?

I started with 5 gallons and did that for 8 years. I wanted to upgrade to a sculpture and found 30 gallon pool filters for free. At first I thought that was going to be too much so I brewed 15 gallon batches but soon found out 15 gallons doesn't last long when you go to beer events.

It takes about an hour longer to brew 25 gallons then it does to brew 5 gallons and its the same amount of work. Now I have 6 styles of beer on tap constantley and each beer lasts about 6 months depending on the ABV...

mysterio said:
I was thinking of doing a 1 gallon batch of Mead or something fancy.
1 gal batches are much easier, get a load of 5L spring water bottles and you can try a different recipe every week, if they turn out to be awefull you havent wasted much.

You mean use the 5L bottle as a primary fermenter and use the spring water in the beer? Sounds like a great idea for spare crystal malt etc that's usually leftover. How long does it take to do a batch?

Alright who is the animal doing > 20gal batches? Official Breweries don't count Mr. Busch. :)

5.5 gallons here. Then I actually end up with 5 gallons bottled due to racking losses and hydrometer "samples".

Mysterio, it takes a similar amount of time as I mash for 1.5hrs and boil for 1.5, bringing mash liquer up to temp is quicker though and getting the wort to boiling point is quicker too.

The mash liquer can be prepared in a standard ekectric kettle, added to the mash tun (saucepan) and the temperature adjusted with cold water. The sparge liquer can be stored in a large Thermos flask and can be quickly prepared, again by using a kettle.

Brew 5 gal batches.... I'm pretty much the only one drinking the beer around here.... I'm actually thinking of smaller then 5 gal batches so I can brew more often different stuff:)

I've never had the space or equipment to do anything more than 5 gallon batches; although with my sabco keggle and the extra carboys I've invested in...that may change:rockin:

BREW ON:mug:

wow..
I'm not suprised that 5gal is in the vast majority but I think I am a little suprised that there aren't more 10 gallon brewers.. seems with all the keggles and cornies floating around that 10 gallons would be a more popular size. I guess fermentation space and carboys are whats holding everyone back.

or maybe its just that it's hard to experiment with 10 gallons

cheers! :mug:
ws

Back