Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed some Cali Common and I was wondering if I could use the washed lager yeast in my bread. Any thoughts on the process? I suppose since lager yeast does better at cold temps, I'd need to keep the dough colder than what you would do with an ale yeast. Probably also rise even slower than an ale yeast based bread.

Anybody ever try this?

Pretzel Balls!!
pretzel.jpg

English Muffins!!!
muffs.jpg

SOURDOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sours.jpg

I've been meaning to try my hand at English muffins for awhile now. Do you have a favorite recipe turtle?

I've mostly been baking Asiago bagels, soft pretzels, and sourdough boules.

Did a sourdough yesterday with roasted garlic and rosemary. I'll slice it up this afternoon when I pull the turkey breast out of the oven.

For english muffins I either use Alton Brown's recipe from Good Eats, or the King Arthur recipe. Both are tricky but have good results.

I'm just now getting back into sourdough, got my starter from carlsfriends reviving on the kitchen counter now

For english muffins I either use Alton Brown's recipe from Good Eats, or the King Arthur recipe. Both are tricky but have good results.

Those are the first two places I look for pretty much anything new I'm making. AB's paella recipe is delicious if you're into that kind of thing.

Yep, I have every Good Eats episode ever made stored on my server. And I have every episode set to record on my DVR, and anytime it comes on and it's not recording I'll sit there and watch it.

Decided to take my bagel recipe and add 2 Tbsp of dried herbs (Italian Seasoning) and 1/2c. of grated Parmesan. Turned out quite tasty. I may up the herbs to 3 Tbsp next time.

No pictures but tried english muffins yesterday. A little dense and thin but the flavor is amazing

I have a recipe for "English muffin bread" from an old magazine around here somewhere... it was pretty good!

Looks like you could slash deeper, do you add any moisture to the oven when you bake?

I appreciate the advice. What does the deeper slash accomplish? No, i haven't been but I've heard a shallow pan of water aids in baking but not how it works, any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

The deeper slash helps expansion as does the moisture in the oven preventing the crust from hardening too soon.
Looks like you used a wash also, don't until you get the basics down, It's purely ascetics.
Bake on!:mug:

Thank you for the information, I'll try both next loaf

Oh, and don't listen to your oven, when it beeps the air is up to temp, the oven is not.
I pre heat at least a half hour at 550F, my max heat and turn it down to 400 to bake adding a half to a cup of preheated water to a cast iron pan already in the oven.
!! Protect your hand!!
Bake to an internal temperature of 200F.
God to go!:mug:

I made my first sourdough starter a few weeks ago and have since baked three loaves with it. This was the first, small loaf, it was pretty tasty but not as good as the next two. I'll certainly be baking a large loaf every weekend. The sourdough is not yet sour, just smelling rather fruity and yeasty, will be interesting to see how/if it changes over the coming months.

WZDzujl.jpg

Back