Chocolate Wheat and Carafa II - Fully Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
I am brewing a dark saison after work today, and was planning on doing a 90 minute Mash (partial, BIAB). I have 3/4lb of Carafa II dehusked and 1/2lb of chocolate Wheat. Would it be a bad idea for me to mash these two for the entire 90 minutes? I'm really looking for color, mainly, but don't want to miss out of anything by adding them to the mash too late. Any help would be appreciated!

Here's what I do for my black saisons and black IPAs. I use midnight wheat since its the darkest malt (that Im aware of) and has less roast flavor than any other dark malt. Ive found 1lb is sufficient to get a full black color as long as you do a mashout. What Ive started doing now is to use 1/2 lb in the mash as normal and then add the other 1/2lb only for the 10min mashout at 168F. This has gotten me the inky black color while minimizing roast flavors. I dont count the 1/2lb at mashout in my OG calculations

So given that, I can probably get away with splitting these two up to do half as normal, then add the rest as im mashing out?

Unfortunately my LHBS doesn't carry midnight Wheat, so I figured these two should get it pretty dark

blackprinz and carafa III would be my backups. But you still should be good if you try mashing some (or maybe all) of the dark malts at the end of the mash. You may need more if you only do the mashout though

I went ahead and split the dark malts. First half went in as normal. Second half went in 15 until mashout. End result was nice and sweet. Had some chocolate notes, but wasn't bitter in the least!

Nice, I need to make another black saison sometime soon...

It was really vigorous fermentation for the first 48 hours, then just dropped right off. This yeast is crazy.

Latest posts

Back