Year long blending project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcsecne

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a blend of 4 batches of 12 months. Every 3 months I would add to the blend equal amounts.
I was thinking of getting a 10 gallon wood barrel to blend in.
My question is, will the head space be a problem for the first 9 months when the barrel isn't full?

I am thinking about doing a blend of 4 batches of 12 months. Every 3 months I would add to the blend equal amounts.
I was thinking of getting a 10 gallon wood barrel to blend in.
My question is, will the head space be a problem for the first 9 months when the barrel isn't full?

I might be misinterpreting your plan or perhaps its semantics, but are you thinking of this as a solera project or a blending experiment?

For a solera barrel that size you'd probably want to brew enough to initially fill the barrel full, let that beer go through a primary ferment (for head-space concerns mentioned), fill the barrel, age it, then pull/refill a portion after some time, & keep repeating the pull/refill process to achieve composite blends of aged sour beer.

I might be misinterpreting your plan or perhaps its semantics, but are you thinking of this as a solera project or a blending experiment?

For a solera barrel that size you'd probably want to brew enough to initially fill the barrel full, let that beer go through a primary ferment (for head-space concerns mentioned), fill the barrel, age it, then pull/refill a portion after some time, & keep repeating the pull/refill process to achieve composite blends of aged sour beer.

Thanks for the info. I didn't even think of this option. It was not what I was thinking about but will likely do this.

Back