Beer in Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh_K

Reaction score
I'm in Chicago for the weekend, which gives me the opportunity to try some beers I've never had before. I had an Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, which was extremely good, a Founders Red's Rye PA, a Goose Island Frere Jacques and Sofie. All were great with the Edmund Fitzgerald being a slight favorite.

Anything else I should seek out while in town?

Any thing 3 Floyd's makes or better yet get out to the brewery it's 30 min from Chicago. Are you downtown?

Revolution, Haymarket, Flossmoor Station, Crown Brewing, Half Acre, Piece are either brew pubs or have tasting rooms and worth the visit.

Some favorite Chicago-brewed beers (in addition to those above) are Finches, Metropolitan, 5 Rabbits, Pipewrench

Was just there last weekend. Some good bars with great tap selections are Oscar Wilde Bar, The Local Option, Paddy Long's (they had beer and BACON pairings!), and Clark Street Ale House.

What part of the city are you staying at? Just to add another one, we have the"RAM" brewery, good food and drink. Around wrigley ball park there is a brew pub, but I can't think of the name. But if your goin to run the gantlet, hit these places!!!
Tighthead Brewing Co
Ram - Wheeling
Goose Island
Haymarket
Mickey Finn's
Emmitts
Two Brothers
Onion Brewery
Solemn Oath
Lake Bluff Brewing Co
Half Acre
5 Rabbits
And call me I'll go with ya!!!

Anything by 3 Floyd's. Also, if you go somewhere that serves Goose Island's Green Line, give it a shot. It's a really nice APA that is served only on draft and also only in Chicago (and the burbs).

quadrupled said:
anything by 3 floyd's. Also, if you go somewhere that serves goose island's green line, give it a shot. It's a really nice apa that is served only on draft and also only in chicago (and the burbs).

+9

Yes to both of these, was really sad when I found out Greenline was Chicago only. Also spend the money and drive to 3 Floyds, took like 45 minutes to get out and maybe a little over an hour back with traffic but well worth it. We got there at 11:30 as the brewpub opened and by 1:00 when we left it was packed. Absolutely worth the drive! Also check out half acre, I think on Saturdays you can get a glass for like 10 bucks and just keep sampling.

Any thing 3 Floyd's makes or better yet get out to the brewery it's 30 min from Chicago. Are you downtown?

Anyone who says anything about Chicago beer without mentioning 3floyds, you can feel free to ignore. It should be your only priority. Easily a top 5 brewery in the US.

Haymarket, Revolution and piece also make very good beer.

As for great beer bars--hop leaf(fantastic food) and the map room(belgians galore) are a must.

God i miss living in Chicago.

Looks like I need to come back again as I only have one more day. I'm with my wife and kids, who aren't too thrilled about visiting breweries so it's more about what I can find at the Jewel Osco next to the hotel (Homewood Suites - Downtown).

I'll print out a list of what was suggested so far and go on a scavenger hunt later. I was able to try the IPA and APA from Great Lakes Brewing, a Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, and a Goose Island IPA last night. I didn't realize how much beer is available here that I can't get back down in Mississippi.

The only problem with binnys is that everything seems to be priced at least %10-15 higher than anywhere else.

Malric said:
The only problem with binnys is that everything seems to be priced at least %10-15 higher than anywhere else.

They have stuff you can't find anywhere else.

Binny's has a huge selection of craft beer and imports. Some stores have more than 1500 different beers.

This is the one on Grand.

01.jpg

Three Floyd's or bust. That's an absolute requirement if you come here seeking good beer. Every beer they serve is an impressive feat. They're that good.

I'm back in Mississippi, just now checking back on this thread, and did not go to Binny's. It's at the top of my list when I come back to Chicago, though.

I did, however, manage to score the last bomber of 3 Floyds Imperial IPA at Jewel Osco last night. I brought it home and had it tonight with dinner and absolutely loved it. I see what you guys are saying. It's on the same level as Stone Ruination.

All in all, over the past weekend, I had around 10 new beers that I've never tried before. Not a bad haul.:mug: I definitely returned to the south with the inspiration for a few new batches of homebrew.

I'm back in Mississippi, just now checking back on this thread, and did not go to Binny's. It's at the top of my list when I come back to Chicago, though.

I did, however, manage to score the last bomber of 3 Floyds Imperial IPA at Jewel Osco last night. I brought it home and had it tonight with dinner and absolutely loved it. I see what you guys are saying. It's on the same level as Stone Ruination.

All in all, over the past weekend, I had around 10 new beers that I've never tried before. Not a bad haul.:mug: I definitely returned to the south with the inspiration for a few new batches of homebrew.

Dreadnaught or Artic Panzer wolf?

And ruination is not on either of their levels....:D

I'd vote Dreadnaught. To me, it has better balance and is a lot more drinkable. I'm done after one panzer, but I can drink Dreadnaught all night (assuming I don't have to get up early).

Agreed, their prices are out of whack. Huge demand + small production = ridiculous prices. I enjoy tasting occasionally, but rarely purchase anything to go. Dreadnaught is insanely simple to brew though.

Their six pack prices are more reasonable. I buy Zombie dust, Alpha King and Gumballhead occasionally. $12/6

I've never seen Dreadnaught in anything but a bomber.

I haven't tried Pipeworks but it sure is a cool label!

I only paid $8.99 for my bomber of Panzer. I wince at paying that much but it's much better than the $12 mentioned above.

anyplace great down town? Staying at the JW Marriott. Last time I went to Puclick House which was decent enough.

Look into a place called Twisted Spoke. Not downtown, but not far away... Just west of the downtown area. Biker bat motif, and excellent beer list. Last I was there they had a couple bottles of Dark Lord on the menu... Not cheap, mind you, but if you're of the "price is no object" set, something to think about. A while back they had the '07 for $80, for example.

You'll likely pass near Haymarket Brewery as well, so you can drink two birds with one shot glass. (or however that saying goes...)

Beer Bistro on Madison Street (not sure where the second location is). Great food and a fantastic beer menu. Haymarket is another spot to get some great beer. Food is slowly catching up to the beer, and their sweet potatoe tatter tots are fantastic.

Back