OK, weird question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
So, how would one go about formulating a recipe that used breakfast cereal in the mash? Yeah... I know it is weird. Have any of you ever tried this? It seems like you should be able to get some fermentables out of it, as well as some unique flavors. I am just wondering how much to use and if it will work OK. :drunk:

please don't do that. people in prison make booze out of bread and fruit and baker's yeast. they don't do it because it's fun, they do it because they are in prison. by the way, prison brew tastes like old socks.

please don't do that. people in prison make booze out of bread and fruit and baker's yeast. they don't do it because it's fun, they do it because they are in prison. by the way, prison brew tastes like old socks.

Uh, he's not trying to make hooch here, he's legitimately trying to convert the starches in breakfast cereal into sugars to brew with. Which is difficult yes, but it was discussed in the GAP thread experiment we participated in, trying to make a BEER (NOT HOOCH) from non brewing ingredients.

Presumably though, unlike us, he is considering using the cereal as an adjunct to malted barley, NOT the whole schmeer like we were trying....

Who says he's not in prison?

'cause he didn't mention bread yeast, or "grabbing the soap." :D

If you can use oatmeal, it'd be fun to try to push things a little beyond.

That was the point of the gap thread to try to push the limits, and well as prepare for the coming zombiepocalyps where we can declare ourselves "emperor of the sacred barley water" and trade out ware for nubile slave girls....

Any good Leinie's Sunset Wheat clone will have a box of fruity pebbles put in the mash. I don't see anyway to clone that beer without the distinct aroma and taste of fruity pebbles.

For the record, I am NOT in prison. Nor am I trying to make some sort of kool-aid toilet hooch. I simply want to add 1 or 2 boxes of breakfast cereal to a regular beer recipe. I don't plan on doing anything extreme like in the GaP thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/gap-grocery-produce-beer-experiment-69313/

I think I will formulate a regular beer recipe for the style I want, then just add a couple boxes of cereal to see what happens. I don't see any way to accurately predict the amount of sugar extraction, so any extra gravity I get will just be a bonus.

I have heard of using corn flakes instead of flaked maize in cream ale recipes. Exactly where I heard that escapes me now however?

Back