weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
I recently bought two weizenbocks to taste. The Weinstephaner was really quite light in color - bordering on a Pils. Can someone explain why? It was delicious and I really liked it.

Are you asking how they got it so pale or why they decided to make it pale?

Pale beers still hold a lot of attraction for many people (even in Germany), I would guess that they were aiming for a segment of the market (pale weizenbocks) that doesn’t have many entrants. I would guess that the recipe is something like a high gravity version of their regular Hefe.

I recently bought two weizenbocks to taste. The Weinstephaner was really quite light in color - bordering on a Pils. Can someone explain why? It was delicious and I really liked it.

There are different styles of Bock beers. Light (Maibock) and dark (Heller).
These are maltier, high alcohol German beers. Low to no hop aroma and sweeter tasting. Actually they are Lagers and brewed as a Lager.

There are different styles of Bock beers. Light (Maibock) and dark (Heller).
These are maltier, high alcohol German beers. Low to no hop aroma and sweeter tasting. Actually they are Lagers and brewed as a Lager.

I was always under the impression that Maibock and Helles Bock were effectively synonyms. Heller actually means light (like a Helles). BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 05

While regular bocks (and doppelbocks) are lagers, weizenbocks are generally brewed as ales (although I have a strong, dark wheat lagering now). This is why they tend to be made by brewers best know for their hefe (Schneider Aventinus, Weihenstephaner Vitus etc…)

Back