Blue Corn Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbreen01

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the Blue Corn Brewery in Santa Fe, New Mexico. They have a High Altitude Pale Ale that I really enjoy and I was hoping that someone might have a recipe that is similar. They also have an American style honey wheat beer that's pretty tasty. I'm fairly new to homebrewing and have done "mini-mash" and extract brewing; so recipes that are not all-grain would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Marc.

Call up the guys at Chama River in Albuquerque (formerly Blue Corn in Albuquerque) and ask them. I bet they would gladly give you some hints. Or ask the brewers in Santa Fe. Generally they will be helpful, at least in giving you an idea of what they use (types of hops and grains) and amounts (OG and IBUs).

If you get that info, I will be glad to play around and see what makes sense. It would also be a good excuse to go have a taste to refresh my memory.

A lot of the area brewers stop in to the il vicino tap room from time to time, that's one place to get information. Call blue corn in santa fe and ask for daniel, he may know, he's the current brewer and of course call chama and talk with ted, he's the brewer their. your best bet is to get out there and drink some beers, ask some questions, do some networking, good luck! Also, their are 2 homebrew clubs that i know of, the dukes of ale and the tapheads.

After talking with Ted Rice (Chama River Brewing Co.), I modified a suggestion of his to extract form (I'm not yet at the all-grain level of brewing). This recipe is earmarked as my next batch.

High Altitude Pale Ale Clone

1/2 lb Crystal 75L
1/4 lb Crystal 55L
6.5 lb M&F light DME

1/2 oz Columbus (15%aa) at 60 min
1/2 oz Cascade at 5 min
1/2 oz Crystal at 5 min
1/2 oz Simcoe at 5 min
3/4 oz Cascade at 0 min
3/4 oz Crystal at 0 min
3/4 oz Simcoe at 0 min

1 tsp Irish moss

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

bottle with 3/4 cp corn sugar
OG around 1.055
I believe Blue Corn's brew was around 5.7%abv.

I'll post back when I try it. Feel free to share your thoughts/comments.
Cheers,
Marc.
On the drawing board: High Altitude Pale Ale
A distant thought: an oatmeal stout (one of my favs)

That actually looks really damn nice. With all those late additions, it should have one helluva aroma, but not terribly sharp bitterness.

Okay, it's Thursday and I get done with work at 3pm...its brewtime! Quick question. I'm making the HAPA listed above; I have some Cascade pellets and I have some Centennial leaf (in addition to the other hops/ingredients as listed). What should I use? I've heard that Cenntennial is kinda like supercharged Cascade with a higher aa%. When used as above at 5 min and flame out, what are the differences in aroma and flavor? I'm tempted to use the Centennial just cuz they are whole hops. If I use the Centennial, how much do I use vs. Cascade? 1:1? 1:2? Thanks.

I love whole hops for aroma and flavor, BUT it really depends on their condition (how old they are, how they have been stored, air-tight or away from light). The simplest ways to check are by looking at the color (fresh green, not stale yellow or brown), smash some in your palm and see if they are sticky (good) and spicy, piney or floral (not cheesy or musty). If you can see the crystals check how they are (white to yellow, not really brown).

If the whole hops seem fresh use them. As for the higher AA, if you are using them for aroma and flavor and they are in the boil less then 10 minutes, while they will effest the bitterness, I wouldn't worry too much. I would be more interested in getting a good amount of oil in so I get the character I want. I wish there was a way to scale/rate the oil content of hops, but it is variable with age and other factors, so we have to go by experience. BUT it is these oils that give us the wonderful tones we like in our brews.

Good luck, I think I will have to have a brew with Ted when I get off work it honor of your effort. :mug:

Just got through with the brew...wound up using 6.25# of DME, and had to make some changes due to supply at LHBS. No C-75, so I used 1/4# C-90 and 1/2# C-55. I used Centennial leaf instead of the cascade; and I used a Wyeast 1056 instead of 1272. First taste was much like SwAMi75 had mentioned, loads of hops flavor and aroma but just a nice subtle bite. Man I love the smell of hops! OG 1.052. We'll see--I can't wait!
Cheers,
Marc.

Back