3 gallon boil vs 1.5 gallon boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangeCatBrewery

Reaction score
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing a 3 gallon boil as opposed to a 1.5 gallon boil? I am not ready to do a full boil and was thinking of doing a 3 or maybe 4 gallon boil on my next batch.

+1 on hop utilization, but additionally if you are trying to make beer that is lighter in color boiling more helps keep the light color (SRM) it is impossible to get below a certain SRM with extract, but cooking a concentrated wort allows more of the sugars to become carmelized and can make for a darker beer.

I do 1.5 gal boils and only use 3%AAs hops in my HWs.

For a 6% AA hop that's only 1/2 oz...;)...that's pretty good hop utilization in my book...how much hops do you use?

Yeah but you failed to mention your late addition method. That's not an option with AG brewing. For extract brewers, I agree with the late extract addition...

Yeah but you failed to mention your late addition method. That's not an option with AG brewing. For extract brewers, I agree with the late extract addition...
That true, but it's not that I failed, the OP didn't mention AG, just boil size. :D

Even though I am not an AGer I know that you can't do an AG with only a 1.5 gal boil...;)

I'll be at Picatinny/Dover next week...are you around? Ready for some drinking???

That true, but it's not that I failed, the OP didn't mention AG, just boil size. :D

Even though I am not an AGer I know that you can't do an AG with only a 1.5 gal boil...;)

I'll be at Picatinny/Dover next week...are you around? Ready for some drinking???

Yeah I'm sure the OP is extract but I was trying to keep things simple. The late addition method is not difficult though, obviously. I used to live near Dover, but now I'm about 75 minutes from there. I'd love to quaff with you, but I'm getting married next week so I won't have time. Sorry man! :mug:

I don't understand how you can accurately measure IBU's doing late additions. Lets say you boil the hops for 45 minutes, then add your extract, then it takes 10-15 minutes to get back to boil. Do you count that as boil time or when do you start counting again? It seems f-ed up if you ask me. You'll still make beer, but there will be no consistency batch to batch unless you consistently fudge the hop addition times the same. I've made a VERY pale ale by boiling all of the extra pale LME for 60 minutes. It was like SRM or like 6-8 which is damn good IMO for LME. Granted if you are making a honey wheat you are probably only using 3-4# Wheat DME plus a couple pounds honey.

Thanks.....good information, the OP was for extract, no grain. Would you have to increase your Extract Amounts if you increase your boil size?

I am going for something light like this:
3lb LME Pilsner
1.5lb DME Pilsner
1lb Corn Sugar
1/2oz Perle (60 min)
Nottingham Dry Yeast

I don't understand how you can accurately measure IBU's doing late additions. Lets say you boil the hops for 45 minutes, then add your extract, then it takes 10-15 minutes to get back to boil. Do you count that as boil time or when do you start counting again? It seems f-ed up if you ask me. You'll still make beer, but there will be no consistency batch to batch unless you consistently fudge the hop addition times the same. I've made a VERY pale ale by boiling all of the extra pale LME for 60 minutes. It was like SRM or like 6-8 which is damn good IMO for LME. Granted if you are making a honey wheat you are probably only using 3-4# Wheat DME plus a couple pounds honey.
I can see where it would be confusing if you've never done it before.

(In my case) I steep for the last 15 mins and don't bring it back to a boil. The hops are still in there for a full 60 mins. Since I am not a hop head my brews are all nicely balanced with no overpowering bitterness.

My HWs are on the sweet side of bitter. They can be made more bitter by adding the remaining yeast from the bottle, which I don't add it all to the glass.

Thanks.....good information, the OP was for extract, no grain. Would you have to increase your Extract Amounts if you increase your boil size?

I am going for something light like this:
3lb LME Pilsner
1.5lb DME Pilsner
1lb Corn Sugar
1/2oz Perle (60 min)
Nottingham Dry Yeast
At 4.5 lbs of malt it's on the light side. I would not recommend you use that much CS. It'll turn the brew cidery.

What's the AA% on the hops? If they're about 4.5% it'll work with what you already have (minus the CS). If you can get even another 1/2 lb DME you'll get better results.

Perle 9.3%

I formulated this recipe from C.P. Joy of Brewing. Going for a lighter warm weather beer. I have about 1lb more dme and 2lbs of lme that I can add.

Im experimenting with this recipe......Ive never used corn sugar before. Id like the beer to end up 5-6% alcohol with a smoother flavor. I guess make something like Red Stripe. Im not going for a Red Stripe clone, its just the first that came to mind.

<Stronger than average alcohol, not bitter, smooth flavor....but it will be an ale>

The less malt you boil the less carmelization (darkening of the wort) will occur.

Corn sugar will darken as it cooks and add some color as will the malt.

I do 1.5 gal boils and only boil 1 lb of malt for 45 mins then remove the pot from the heat then add the 4-5 more lbs of DME to the pot and let it steep for 15 mins...then done. ;)

Many of my beers are pale yellow; almost as light as a Miller (made with corn = yellow) versus a Bud (made with rice = no color). :rockin:

Back