So...You Want to Breed Your Own Hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually came across some specimens in the yard recently and examined them underneath the microscope. Hairy little buggers for sure but I found these as well....any ideas?

RenderedImage.JPG

Hey everyone hoping we can bring this thread back to life a bit. I am trying to start my own mini breeding program this spring. I cannot find male plants anywhere. I know it isnt the right season right now but if anyone knows where to buy male plants please let me know. That being said, if you have access to a male plant and could do a rhizome I would love to get my hands on one. Other than that after reading through a majority of this thread, maybe seeds are the way to go?

Hey everyone hoping we can bring this thread back to life a bit. I am trying to start my own mini breeding program this spring. I cannot find male plants anywhere. I know it isnt the right season right now but if anyone knows where to buy male plants please let me know. That being said, if you have access to a male plant and could do a rhizome I would love to get my hands on one. Other than that after reading through a majority of this thread, maybe seeds are the way to go?

Where are you located? That info will at least help us get you some bearings. Depending on that answer there may be wild plants in your area or seeds may the best option.

if you are in Europe or Canada, I can send a Neomexicanus male. I believe that for the USA it is impossible. PM for the modalities ;)

Due to the non-existence of commercially-available male cultivars and the complications of live plant imports (which are outright banned in many countries), seeds are generally the simplest way to proceed, and they will yield you about 40% males.

Telling us where you are located could help clarify details, though.

Where are you located? That info will at least help us get you some bearings. Depending on that answer there may be wild plants in your area or seeds may the best option.
I am out in eastern Massachusetts. I believe some wild species should be around but would be pretty hard to find this time of year

Cones can be fairly persistent, depending on how exposed to the winds they are. If you walk along riverbeds and cliffsides, or other spots you might suspect they'd be, you might be able to find traces of wild hops.

Last edited:
Indeed. I need to drive over an hour to get to the closest known wild hop population, and despite all my best efforts at scouting for hops myself and reaching out to people who might see them, the second closest population(s) are five hours away. Closer historic sightings have not panned out, so far, and they are pretty few anyways. I'd probably need to try to scout more on the Ontario side, though, since there are supposedly more populations not so far away, but I rarely go out for the sole purpose of seeking out potential hop populations. :p

Here are some maps that might help you out.

Attachments

• pubescens_map.jpg
    pubescens_map.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 53
  • lupuloides_map.jpg
    lupuloides_map.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 52
I went down this path for sh*ts and giggles maybe 6 years ago. Started with seeds found in commerical hops and germinated as many as I could over the winter. It took 2 years of indoor growing before I had plants that I felt comfortable growing outdoors. Long story short, of maybe a half dozen 2.5 yr old plants, only one survived attacks of mildew and the first winter. That plant ended up being a male (it is an absolute monster) and it has been happily fertilizing all my other hop plants for a couple years now. I keep meaning to collect the seeds from the fertilized cones, but have not done so. It is honestly a ton of work and waiting years to see any result is not that fun.

I also have a small collection of feral hop varieties that I collected from the wild - found growing on farms that grew hops in the late 1800's - they are also extremely sturdy/vigorous. Only one of those varieties produces cones with good flavor... tastes like grapefruit juice, but a touch catty.

Did you cross breed these wild hops with the ones you have growing or is that what you intend to do?

I find collecting seeds not that huge of a hassle, it's the brewing trials I have a hard time with, as that requires good timing and has a narrow time window at a time of year I'm the most busy.

Seeds don't even need to be super clean to use. I've made myself some sieves and a pneumatic seed cleaner, but I've also just used ripped cones in a pinch.

It does take a while to see results, though, that's for sure.

I find collecting seeds not that huge of a hassle, it's the brewing trials I have a hard time with, as that requires good timing and has a narrow time window at a time of year I'm the most busy.

Seeds don't even need to be super clean to use. I've made myself some sieves and a pneumatic seed cleaner, but I've also just used ripped cones in a pinch.

It does take a while to see results, though, that's for sure.

Correct, collecting seeds is not a huge ordeal though once you start aggregating large amounts of them, keeping them sorted and taking notes on all the various families can be arduous. It becomes especially difficult when the females are being grown in close proximity to several males and any number of males could presumably be parents for open-pollinated seed in future generations.

For males, you can cut the vines at the height of the flowers before they open. so you can keep one male in bloom year after year

Yes, the work involved when keeping track of nitpicky details tends to grow somewhat exponentially. If one has many females and many males and one wants to do controlled pollination to stay aware of the pedigrees, that can get very laborious quite quickly. Open pollination saves a huge amount of work, so it's worth questioning how badly one wants/needs to know the father of any given seedling. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it isn't.

In beekeeping, there are multiple mating strategies, since queens mate in flight with multiple males. Instrumental insemination grants 100% pedigree control. Then some people have isolated mating yards, exempt (or relatively so) from wild (or other managed) male donor colonies. This isn't possible in all areas, though, as some are packed with wild or managed populations. Then there's the fudging the odds strategy, which instead of focusing on eliminating unwanted male contributions (though it also does indirectly act on it), one focuses on "flooding" the area with suitable males from selected donor colonies. The last two techniques can obviously be mixed.

With a wind-pollinated dioecious crop like hops, the same strategies can be employed. If you really want to know the male, you can bag the flowers and pollinate by hand. Some people, such as myself, live in areas that seem devoid of wild populations, so if you can largely assume that any seeds will come from the males you let flower. Thirdly, you can plant large numbers of selected males to favor pollination by those.

The advantage of bagging is knowing 100% who the father is (minus the odd chance of mishap). The advantage of not bagging is, well, being able to manage a whole lot more crosses with much less time.

If you've got a father A which is immune to pest B, and want offspring that get that trait, then it is much more practical to plant a lot of A than to bag a whole lot of females to give them A pollen, because once you've got your open pollinated F1s, any seedling lacking A's resistance to pest B will just get culled anyways.

Yes, the work involved when keeping track of nitpicky details tends to grow somewhat exponentially. If one has many females and many males and one wants to do controlled pollination to stay aware of the pedigrees, that can get very laborious quite quickly. Open pollination saves a huge amount of work, so it's worth questioning how badly one wants/needs to know the father of any given seedling. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it isn't.

In beekeeping, there are multiple mating strategies, since queens mate in flight with multiple males. Instrumental insemination grants 100% pedigree control. Then some people have isolated mating yards, exempt (or relatively so) from wild (or other managed) male donor colonies. This isn't possible in all areas, though, as some are packed with wild or managed populations. Then there's the fudging the odds strategy, which instead of focusing on eliminating unwanted male contributions (though it also does indirectly act on it), one focuses on "flooding" the area with suitable males from selected donor colonies. The last two techniques can obviously be mixed.

With a wind-pollinated dioecious crop like hops, the same strategies can be employed. If you really want to know the male, you can bag the flowers and pollinate by hand. Some people, such as myself, live in areas that seem devoid of wild populations, so if you can largely assume that any seeds will come from the males you let flower. Thirdly, you can plant large numbers of selected males to favor pollination by those.

The advantage of bagging is knowing 100% who the father is (minus the odd chance of mishap). The advantage of not bagging is, well, being able to manage a whole lot more crosses with much less time.

If you've got a father A which is immune to pest B, and want offspring that get that trait, then it is much more practical to plant a lot of A than to bag a whole lot of females to give them A pollen, because once you've got your open pollinated F1s, any seedling lacking A's resistance to pest B will just get culled anyways.

The issue here is the information you get is lopsided when you don’t control for pollen. If you know who both parents are, it allows you to compare apples to apple across various matings of females and males (which allows you to understand the heritability of various traits and the breeding value of various parents).

When you lack pollen control, your estimates of trait heritability are inflated due to confounding factors (maternal inheritance, etc.) and you lack knowledge about the real value of the males being used for breeding.

Controlled crosses are the only way to glean this information from any breeding population, even when it means laborious and time-consuming data collection.

Going about this willy-nilly might lead to a single chance event regarding a new variety, but it is not the way to lead or develop a real breeding program.

In theory are wild hops (fathers in particular) a smart choice to start a breeding program? My only thought here is maybe I could get my hands on seeds or pollen from someone here relatively easily, but my other thought is if a father is wild, shouldnt they be more disease resistant since they have been living out in nature for potentially hundreds of years?

In theory are wild hops (fathers in particular) a smart choice to start a breeding program? My only thought here is maybe I could get my hands on seeds or pollen from someone here relatively easily, but my other thought is if a father is wild, shouldnt they be more disease resistant since they have been living out in nature for potentially hundreds of years?

It depends. If you have people that are monitoring for certain visible characteristics in a male plant (ie. disease resistance, pest resistance, growth patterns etc) then certainly, using that pollen makes sense.

For example, I took quite a lot of time evaluating many males from different wild populations around me before selecting the male I wanted to source pollen from.

The issue here is the information you get is lopsided when you don’t control for pollen. If you know who both parents are, it allows you to compare apples to apple across various matings of females and males (which allows you to understand the heritability of various traits and the breeding value of various parents).

When you lack pollen control, your estimates of trait heritability are inflated due to confounding factors (maternal inheritance, etc.) and you lack knowledge about the real value of the males being used for breeding.

Controlled crosses are the only way to glean this information from any breeding population, even when it means laborious and time-consuming data collection.

Going about this willy-nilly might lead to a single chance event regarding a new variety, but it is not the way to lead or develop a real breeding program.

That's a level of comparison that's not really relevant outside of research or advanced commercial breeding, though. Many crops are bred by many people having little idea what "trait heritability" is, or otherwise not knowing how heritable their selected traits are. If you start from 20 000 seeds to end up with 2, it doesn't really matter how heritable the traits you are looking for, because as long as it's somewhat heritable, you'll have much more than 2 plants with the trait you want to select from. Sure, making controlled crosses can increase the percentage of seedlings that have the trait you want. But that can be mimicked by just planting more seeds. Takes less time and resources to sow 100x more open pollinated seeds than to switch to controlled pollination. Also pretty easy to just propagate a large number of selected males.

Of course, any breeding program that operates on multi-million dollar budgets is going to go "all in". And also of course, it's possible to do both, to use controlled pollination to lock down on some known heritable traits, to then leave those to mate openly. And sure, time put locking down some traits can save time down the road on future crosses.

But if you run on the assumption that you are just having one go at it, and that you've got at least 1 male, then it's just a numbers game. if you sow 20 000 seeds and there are no other males around, assuming 80% germination, you'll get 16 000 plants of the desired cross. If there's one wild male, you'll get 8000 plants of the desired cross, plus an extra 8000 plants that might not be bad either. If there's 50 other wild males in the area, then you'll still get 314 plants of the desired cross, plus 19 686 plants that might not be bad either. If there's 500 other males, then you'll STILL get 32 plants of the desired cross. But this is starting to be a ridiculous number, and that's assuming all males have the same chance. Practically speaking, if you have 4 male plants that flower at the same time as your females and are close to them, and no known males in the immediate vicinity, the ratio of foreign is not going to be high. And again, might just turn out that some of those foreign males are better than your selected ones anyways.

Of course there's value to controlled pollination and I do intend to so some, but I don't think it needs to be done systematically, nor that amateurs really have to do it at all.

Many cultivars have wild plants in their pedigree, but usually these aren't their direct parents, but rather grand-parents or further back. I would not equate being wild with being resistant to diseases or pests. Wild populations are a wonderful resource to fetch new beneficial traits, but one should not assume every wild plant is by default fantastic. Being able to survive is not a very high bar of resistance.

Last edited:
I guess my next question would be to ask if anyone has some seeds or slightly more of a reach pollen, that they would be willing to mail or possibly sell to me? I am looking for a fairly disease resistant American father.

Do you just email someone through their repository or something? Also do you know if you would have any say in the matter of what they send you?

You go through GRIN, it's like a big online catalogue. You order from the platform itself. It's not destined to commercial or leisure goals, though. It's meant for one of three possible end goals: research, education, and breeding. It's a pretty precious resource, so it should be used with due respect and diligence. There's not a whole lot of additions to the library and the stocks are limited.

Rule of thumb is that the stock should be put to benefit others, not just the receiver. If not by the commercial release of new varieties, than at least by making worthwhile stock accessible through trading of seeds or cuttings.

if a father is wild, shouldnt they be more disease resistant since they have been living out in nature for potentially hundreds of years?

Doesn't work like that - one advantage they have in the wild is disease avoidance simply by virtue of being rare. So a susceptible plant can survive simply by not encountering certain pathogens, or at least only encountering much smaller loads of a pathogen than they would in a farm field. A field of Fuggles is a factory for verticilium spores...

The classic land races are notoriously susceptible to disease - or perhaps it's better to say that centuries of farming them in pathogen factories means that there are huge populations of spores that can successfully attack them. That's why disease resistance was always a major aim of the hop breeding programmes at Wye and Huell - and why (landraces like Saaz & Tettnang excepted) a majority of all the hops in the world can trace some of their ancestry to a field half a mile from the sign in my avatar. Even if you don't like their flavour, the Wye lineages are hugely important for contributing disease resistance (and alpha content) to their descendants.

Funny story. I started home brewing when I was stationed in Germany in 2001. We would often drive to Munich and wonder what in the hell was growing on wires in the fields. I finally realized that they were growing hops, the same hops that I was ordering from the states They were growing the hops, sending them to the states, then I would buy them and have them shipped to me in Germany!

if you are in Europe or Canada, I can send a Neomexicanus male. I believe that for the USA it is impossible. PM for the modalities ;)

AIRS said:
Recommendations to CBSA/Documentation and Registration Requirements

Refer to CFIA-NISC(must be accompanied by the following documents\registrations):
  • Phytosanitary Certificate
  • Plant Protection Import Permit
Importer / Broker Instructions

DOCUMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS
PHYTOSANITARY CERTIFICATE
- Obtain from Country of Export prior to importation.

CONDITIONS OF IMPORT
The Phytosanitary Certificate must accompany the shipment.

Material must be free from all growing media, soil and/or related matter.

Good day everyone! Have a good day and cool harvests! I am from Russia and I have a small hops farm. Very informative and interesting you write and give tips on growing hops. Thank you very much! Is it possible to order rhizomes or seeds from you in Russia?? I have Russian hop varieties from Chuvashia and Moscow region and wild very hardy hops.

Last edited:
Good afternoon! I read your posts and it was very interesting and useful! Thank you all very much!)) I also grow some hops for my micro brewery. The climate is certainly not as warm and not the same latitude as you but we also harvest)) I Would like to join your discussion to get useful knowledge and exchange experience! This is my hops Magnum harvest 2019 г.

Attachments

• IMG_20191031_173501_188.jpg
    IMG_20191031_173501_188.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 33
Back