Shaken, not stirred?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jestmaty

Reaction score
Bottling question...

I usually bottle condition my beers for about 3 weeks before I even think about drinking them.

Am I just being stupid by gently turning each bottle upside down for a little swirl about halfway into their 3 week wait?

In other words, I usually only bottle about 24 bottles for each 5 gallon batch cause I normally use 12 quarts, 4-5 bombers, and the rest are 12oz bottles. About the 10 day or so, I lift each one up, say a prayer to the beer gods, then turn it over and swirl it gently to re-distribute the fallen yeast.

Spinning my wheels, or does it have some merit?

Well ..... Different stokes for different folks is the answer. I've been priming with malt extract which will take longer to prime. That being said. I wait 2 weeks to crack one. Because I also do not like to disturb mine untill then cause I feel the longer they are able to sit undisturbed the better the yeast settlement get more compact so when pour ( so basicly when I pour I get less yeast in my beer. ) it stays in place better. But all in all I think if you batch primed and it stirred in well before bottling I personally don't think it would help the process although nor hurt it either. But I'm not a Zymologist !!
Cheers !

I do it too. I figured re-suspending yeast would help carb faster for highly flocculant yeast.

Never did that when I was bottle carbonating. Never had any problem getting beers to be fully carbonated after 3-4 weeks in bottles (kept them at least 70F). I also bottled in 500ml swing top bottles. Besides, at one point I had enough beer in bottles that it would take a significant amount of time to do what you do. Since I'm kegging now, I don't even think about such things. :rockin:

Yeah, I have no valid reason to do it, I just can't leave my bottles alone. They are my little pets.
I should back away, lest I arouse them.

Back