Getting Ahead of Myself?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahNate

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First off... I can see there is a wealth of information to be found here. Looking forward to putting up my feet, relaxing and trying to absorb it all.

I recently picked up an equipment and ingredient kit from a LHBS. I was going to get started this weekend, but SWMBO decided she would rather not have me "messing up" her brand new kitchen and demanded I get my own stock pot and a propane burner for brewing outdoors. Even though I haven't completed my first brew session yet and don't plan on going AG until I get some more experience, I ordered a 44 quart SS kettle. I figure the extra volume will help prevent boil overs and allow me to do larger boils further down the home brew road.

The propane cooker I've chosen is a Bayou Classic SP10. Unless someone tells me it's garbage, I'll place that order today.

The equipment kit includes all the basics and a few extras...

• 6.5G fermenting bucket and lid
  • 7.8G Bottling bucket with spigot
  • 5G Glass carboy
  • Carboy stopper
  • Rack and fill kit (racking cane, siphon hose, bottle filler)
  • 2 Air locks
  • Adhesive thermometer
  • Triple scale hydrometer
  • Beer bottle brush
  • Twin lever Red-Baron capper
  • C-Brite Cleanser (8 packets)
  • Auto siphon
  • Lab thermometer
  • Iodaphor sanitizer

I was thinking about picking up an IC, but that pesky little voice in the back of my head kept telling me I was getting ahead of myself. While I know an IC isn't necessary for the brewing process, it seems it would make it easier and the easier it is, the more likely I'll continue to do it. Really though, get the IC or skip it? Anything other items I'm missing that will make brew day and bottling day easier? :mug:

Haha, you should be thanking your SWMBO for giving the green light to spend the extra dough on brewing outside. It always seems to be that once you start your brew day, someone gets hungry and you need to share the kitchen. It may suck in the winter, but the endless space and peace and quiet of brewing outside is a gift.

It's not needed but will save a lot of time especially since you're doing full boils. With a 44 qt pot, an ice bath isn't really practical. I have read about other guys letting their wort cool over night in a very, very well sanitized environment. In general though, its best to cool and pitch as soon as possible so the yeast becomes the dominant organism.

Sounds like the only thing left is something to stir with :)

Ha ha... I knew I forgot to mention something. The kit did come with a large plastic paddle for stirring.

Haha, you should be thanking your SWMBO for giving the green light to spend the extra dough on brewing outside. It always seems to be that once you start your brew day, someone gets hungry and you need to share the kitchen. It may suck in the winter, but the endless space and peace and quiet of brewing outside is a gift.

I did thank her. Now I don't need to clean the kitchen on brew days. ;)

I got the IC when I first started and never regretted that decision at all. I also pitched (actually sitting on my bookshelf) the glass thermometer and bought one like this.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/dial-thermometer.html
Works great and no worries about broken glass in my wort.

It's not needed but will save a lot of time especially since you're doing full boils. With a 44 qt pot, an ice bath isn't really practical. I have read about other guys letting their wort cool over night in a very, very well sanitized environment. In general though, its best to cool and pitch as soon as possible so the yeast becomes the dominant organism.

Thanks, menerdari and Krovitz. Makes the decision to get an IC an easy one.

Latest posts

Back