2nd batch taste test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegun

Reaction score
Nice pop when I open the bottle, little cloud of gas on top of the beer when looking in, nice hoppy, malty aroma, decant into racing glass, and a beautiful dark amber liquid fizzing, swirling. Big nose inhale, more hops, malt, little bit of oak, just a hint, I wouldn't smell it unless I knew that I'd put the chips in the primary. Nice hoppy bite on the back of the tongue, bit of tart, smooth, crisp, biting an apple mouth feel. Wow, this is nice. Probably cause my wife and I made it, but this is the best IPA evar! And a kit at that. True Brew IPA kit. So it gets better if you do a full boil? Oh my God, sign us up. I really haven't tasted a more satisfying IPA, if not beer, though I'll probably say the same thing after each batch gets tried. Really has a nice after taste, no astringent feel like some other IPAs I've tried. Anyhoo, I'm rambling.... Lemme take another swig..... Yeah, that's nice. Anybody sitting on the fence, jump in, this is fun!

What do we have to gain by going full boil or all grain, seriously, this is good stuff, but if it can be better........

We have a wheat beer in the secondary that I'm really looking forward to, and a Porter on deck, but I'm kinda tempted to try another IPA. I'm just sayin'.

I'm an extract guy and have done mostly kits, but now I've done a lot of experimenting by adding extra steeping grains, DME, hops, etc to the basic kit. I haven't looked deeply into all-grain, but there seem to be a lot of strong opinions on the topic. One thing that does seem obvious is that AG is less expensive than extract brewing, but still I think that extract brews produce premium craft brew quality at much lower prices. I think also that AG gives more options for variety as there are limits to what you can get with extracts. But at this point, I agree with you, I am so happy with what I'm getting from extracts that I don't have a compelling reason to move to AG.

Latest posts

Back