WLP 001 - First time with Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zfite731

Reaction score
OK, new guy with another "stupid" question. I've never used a liquid yeast. I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of American Ale. O.G. -1.063 F.G. - 1.012. Will one vial be enough? Do i need to do anything to it before i pitch it? Thanks for the help guys and gals!

If you have time, make a starter. Yeastcalc.com is another site for information on starters.

Advice on the yeast vial: When you take it out of the refrigerator, (you did keep it cool didn't you?) open it carefully. When it warms it will build up pressure. Open carefully frequently while it warms up.

You can pich one vial and it will ferment but more is better. I would pich 2 vials minimum or make a 1 quart starter (google Palmer's how to brew and read about starters). The higher the gravity the more yeast are needed. Proper amount of yeast from the get-go = better beer. Also, let the yeast vials come to room temps for a few hours before pitching into the wort and sanitize the outside of yeast vial or smack pack right before you pitch.

I've used one vial for 8% which would be around 1.080. turned out fine. I leave the vial out when I start to brew so it gets to room temperature. I then give it a shake and dip the vial in sanitizer when ready to use, I shake it again and make sure the vial is in the bucket and open SLOWLY, it will spray and shoot out. some strains more than others.

Hate to be "that guy" but us-05 dry yeast is the same strain, comes with enough cells (200 billion) to inoculate the wort properly, meaning there is no need to make a starter which saves time and supplies, and is half the price (1/4 the price if you need to buy two vials). Just something to keep in mind for the next time!

Starters are super easy, and fun to make. (sort of like making a mini beer)

Propagating yeast_revised.jpg

Ok, so my only shot to brew anytime soon is tonight. If i didn't make a starter should i just pitch the yeast out of the bottle or should i wait until i can make a starter? If i just pitch it as is, will it turn out ok?

Odds are it will turn out fine. For future brews, plan on making a starter with liquid yeast - you'll be happier with the beer.

It will probably be fine, but if you brew this again you should make a starter and compare the two brews.

I will make a starter next time. Great idea to compare the two! This is only my second batch ever brewed. Thanks for all the help.

Back