Citra Pale Ale 10GAL BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1st try at a 10 GAL BIAB batch my Wife loves the Citra Hops.

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
5 lbs Golden Promise (Simpsons) (2.0 SRM)
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 55.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 35.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]

a pound of special b is a lot but maybe that's what you are after. other than that it looks very much like a citra pale ale i make, love citra hops.

That's a lot of fermentables for one lonely pack of Notty. I agree about the special B... Roasted malts are powerful in both color and flavor.

Recipie's got good bones though. I would be inclined to push some of those Citra forward in the schedule. 30 min or more is still a bittering add as far as I'm concerned.

With it being 5% of the grain how how of the raisin or dried fruit flavor will come out?
plus it could go hand in hand with the Citra or not :eek: It is still better then
off the shelf beer and it is one of a kind beer:mug:

At 5% you'll be fine, when I used it at that level it was a nice backbone of crystal like taste, I too made a beer similar to this but minus the Vienna and instead used same amount of British pale malt, independent tasters (a friend took a sixer to some pro brEwers and "tastes real nice wouldn't change a thing") liked it. Don't be afraid, your well within the 10% max use as suggested by Beersmith.

I use Beersmitsh as well and I thought my percent was ok ,But I do like to play around with different grains plus I learn from all of the POS/NEG post on this site .

I'd move some of the hop additions more towards the end of the boil, like 20 and 10 minute. If you need to increase the bittering addition some to keep IBU's and OG balanced then that is fine. Love the flavor/aroma of Citra so I'd use most of it in that area of the boil.

Back